The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace our old Caravan, going to go with a compact/mid-sized sedan and have been doing some research on what to go with.

So, are there any years I should be looking to pursue or avoid? I was looking on carcomplaints.com and it seems like 2009-10 had some problems with the electronic steering column lock... it sometimes won't let you start the car. That's the sort of general info I'm looking for, common problems, etc

Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
ESL was only present 07-09, removed in 10+. There's a single fuse you can pull in your IPDM (engine fuse box) to disable the ESL permanently (but only pull it once the engine is running, or you will permanently lockout the ignition :) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's excellent info, thanks! I had ruled those years out because of that issue but if it's that easy to fix, it opens it up again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
had my 12 Altima for 2800 miles. Got cvt fluid changed after buying it at 38k. About 41k now. So far no problems at all. Just a comfy cruiser that looks great

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Just in case my bias against CVTs wasn't previously known :)

2009 last year for 3.5 sedan with 6MT
2012 last year for 3.5 coupe with 6MT
2012 last year for 2.5 base sedan with 6MT
2012 last year for any manual tranny on any Altima.

3.5 V6 can be a bit of a gas pig in cold weather, short hauls and with a lead foot. I average 12.5L/100km premium in winter mixed short haul driving. Car will do 8L/100km on secondary highways at ~90kmh cruising in 6th and 9-9.5L/100km at typical 400 series road speeds...at say about 30-40% faster than secondary highways. Summer gets a little bit better, only because foot gets heavier because tires get stickier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just in case my bias against CVTs wasn't previously known :)

2009 last year for 3.5 sedan with 6MT
2012 last year for 3.5 coupe with 6MT
2012 last year for 2.5 base sedan with 6MT
2012 last year for any manual tranny on any Altima.

3.5 V6 can be a bit of a gas pig in cold weather, short hauls and with a lead foot. I average 12.5L/100km premium in winter mixed short haul driving. Car will do 8L/100km on secondary highways at ~90kmh cruising in 6th and 9-9.5L/100km at typical 400 series road speeds...at say about 30-40% faster than secondary highways. Summer gets a little bit better, only because foot gets heavier because tires get stickier.
We'll be sticking with the auto no matter what vehicle we end up with, wife doesn't want a standard.

That's still better mileage than our van, even in the winter.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,766 Posts
As far as motor goes....If the altima did not come with the VQ I would not own it...Only choice in my opinion.

Any way you look at it...the CVT sucks ass. My 02 SE was much preferred to my 12 SR.

For the record....I enjoy my 12 Quest more than my Altima...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Avoid ALL years with a CVT transmission, basically anything after 2007 .

If you buy one with a CVT you can count it failing.
I'm assuming from your screen name that Nissans are your day job... how many are you seeing fail? I see they upped the warranty to 12 years... are they replacing with an updated CVT or just putting more of the same in?

·
Boland01
123 Posts
My 2009 2.5L with a CVT is still going strong at 124K miles. I have changed the NS-2 twice and added an auxiliary tranny cooler so that may have helped too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 08 2.5 S is still going strong on it's first CVT at 100,773 miles. Go with the 4 cyl. It has more than enough power to pass/merge/accelerate and I get great gas mileage. If you're looking for something fast, go with the V6. I've driven a 12' SR, those things are sleepers for sure. No problems with mine except for routine maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Avoid ALL years with a CVT transmission, basically anything after 2007 .

If you buy one with a CVT you can count it failing.
Bullshit. If you don't like CVT just say so, don't make it seem like it's a bad product all together only because you personally do not "feel" it. I hate the way olives taste - that doesn't mean it's the worst kind of food there is. My 2008 CVT is now at 140+K miles and never had a single problem.

As for years - IN GENERAL - I would never get ANY car the first year it comes out. Very simple and basic logic here: manufacturer fixes most of complains and issues as they come in for the next year's release to avoid warranty work. Most cars are expected to be produced for 5+ years so the later model you get the more issues will be fixed.

There are exceptions of course but basic rule is what I wrote above.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,766 Posts
Read any review on any car that Nissan has put out with a CVT ................None have been positive....Even on the New Maxima....every review says it ruins the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Read any review on any car that Nissan has put out with a CVT ................None have been positive....Even on the New Maxima....every review says it ruins the car.
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2012/consumer-reviews/

edmunds reviews for 2012 Altima , one I have. Reviews are mostly positive

http://www.kbb.com/nissan/altima/2012/25-sedan-4d/?desktopoverlaytimeout=10

kelly blue book reviews. still mostly positive

http://m.cars.com/research/#!reviews/consumer/Nissan/Altima/2012

cars.com reviews

51out of 58 recommend the 2012 Altima

Just sayin.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,766 Posts
My Dad loves it.....If you drive like your dead, you will too. I'm 50, my hair is not grey, and my dick still works.......I dont!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts