The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
got widebody?®
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to paint my front calipers...just got done the rears last week, (took the brakes apart and it was such a bitch that I want to do the fronts with the least amount of work possible) and now that I tried removing the caliper assembly from the front I broke 2(!!!!!) open-end spanners (wrenches :rolleyes: ) in the process. Seriously...broke them in half. And these were those Sears whatchamacallits that are guaranteed for life. CRaftsman I guess. Anyways...even though the calipers are only about 2 months old, it's like they are welded to the ****ing car so it's no longer an option to remove them. I'm sure somebody would suggest that soaking-in bolt loosener stuff....but this is some SERIOUS bolt-seizure we're talking about here. So if anyone knows how I can paint the caliper, disk-hub (the part that rusts 5 minutes after the brand new brakes are installed...WHY???), brake pads and ventilation slots (around the perimeter of the disk) ...it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By the way...I DID a search on this and found NOTHING.
Who is it that painted their calipers yellow on a black 1st gen alty? I forget.....he did a nice job and I BELIEVE he had a sorta FAQ thing about what he did.
 

·
N20 Whore
Joined
·
344 Posts
it's easy to do w/out takin them off. I'll explain
1. hi-temp paint, rags, big sponge brushes, little sponge brushes(for all of the cracks and crevasses)
2. take off wheel/tire
3. make sure u clean all of the caliper and the surrounding area first
4. put spray paint on brushes and get all of the areas-just takes time and patience
5. do about 3-5 coats
6. clearcoat if u want a shiny coat


Hope this helps:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
I painted mine while still on. But I used the folia tec brake kit and it was brush on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
painting calipers

I painted mine without removing them, just taped off the whole car and did all four corners at once.
 

·
got widebody?®
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: painting calipers

Swoop411 said:
I painted mine without removing them, just taped off the whole car and did all four corners at once.
That's what I'M talkin' about...:) Spray....man a brush would KILL me...I'm so impatient. I may have to though......especially around the disk hub. I don't want to get that crap all over the surface of the disk. *~~SCREEEEEEEECH~~* BANGGGGG! ;)
 

·
got widebody?®
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bowzer said:
it's easy to do w/out takin them off. I'll explain
1. hi-temp paint, rags, big sponge brushes, little sponge brushes(for all of the cracks and crevasses)
2. take off wheel/tire
3. make sure u clean all of the caliper and the surrounding area first
4. put spray paint on brushes and get all of the areas-just takes time and patience
5. do about 3-5 coats
6. clearcoat if u want a shiny coat


Hope this helps:D
THREE TO FIVE COATS!!! Uh oh...that means I'll have to go over the back calipers again. I only did one coat. That was also because the car fell off the jacks and smashed into my parents' garage door....but that's a story for another day....;)
Thanks man. I'll bite the bullet and brush it on. Better get going, the car is apart and it's getting dark out. LATER.
 

·
Playing PS2
Joined
·
456 Posts
I have paint alot of calipers without taking them of...........all you need is high heat paint from Autozone and somepaint thinner just in case you miss BAD..........and some duct tape to hole up whateer you are going to use to not paint you rotors.

Pillage
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Re: Re: painting calipers

altima8 said:


That's what I'M talkin' about...:) Spray....man a brush would KILL me...I'm so impatient. I may have to though......especially around the disk hub. I don't want to get that crap all over the surface of the disk. *~~SCREEEEEEEECH~~* BANGGGGG! ;)
it doesn't matter if you get it on the brake disc it will just burn off when you are braking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
I painted them without taking the wheels off. Make sure you spray some brake cleaner on there before. Yo, when you wanna meet up man?
 

·
.
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
I just took the rims off, cleaned the calipers a bit and sprayed them with 2 thin coast of high temp paint. It's been on for a looooong time now with no probs. Slight dulling, but otherwise, they look good.
 

·
Traded in Alti!!!
Joined
·
118 Posts
I just took off the 4 rims and put pa piece of newspaper behind the caliper so it wouldnt get on brake pad, an sprayed VHT spray! so fast and easy, but with the rear ones i suggest buy new ones and spraying if rusted or atleast sand down al the rust!
 

·
master of the 5th speed
Joined
·
106 Posts
pull off the wheel, cover the struts and wheel well and just spray that shit. if the rotors get painted (and they will) don't worry about it. put the wheel back on. drive a few hundred feet and ride the brake. the paint will go away and the rotors will shine once again.
 

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
Joined
·
15,220 Posts
some of ya'll go too much to do this...

I painted some calipers and and some have said, we just put newspaper around the areas we didn't want painted, and did 1 light coat first. Then we went to the other side and did the other caliper.

then we went back to the 1st side, did another spray, and went to the 2nd side and repeat.. that's it... over a yr and still looks good.

Got the same paint Chris used.. the 500 degree engine paint sold in Autozone, pep boys, etc...

We did the rotor also and all the over spray where the pads hit, will get rubbed off so that's not a cause for concern.
 

·
got widebody?®
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used high temp engine paint (red) on the calipers and pads, and VHT silver on the disks. Looks really clean. I still have to paint the stupid passenger/front one though, ran out of time. LOL
I feel a bit stupid driving around like this. :)
 

·
got widebody?®
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
95_XE said:
I painted them without taking the wheels off. Make sure you spray some brake cleaner on there before. Yo, when you wanna meet up man?
Whenever you're ready. We went to Jack Astor's last night and met up with that guy who has the 323 that whoops 5.0's. It's soooooooooooooooo much of a sleeper. The only thing that gives it away is the guage-pod on the column. Otherwise the car looks STOCK AS HELL. Nice guy too. PM me and we'll meet
 

·
member
Joined
·
258 Posts
95_XE said:
I painted them without taking the wheels off..
are you serious, damn, you the @#%'in man,:D

i would understand if you had really thin five spoke wheels, but from your sig, it looks damn near impossible:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
atakm said:


are you serious, damn, you the @#%'in man,:D

i would understand if you had really thin five spoke wheels, but from your sig, it looks damn near impossible:confused:
whoops, I meant taking the calipers off:eek:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top