The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any you guys and gals have installed a bike rack on your cars yet. My girlfriend and I are about to get into mountain biking since she claims that I spend way too much time reading your posts here and tinkering with my car. I tell her that I can't help, but you guys know who always wins out.

I was thinking a Yakima bike rack, but I can't make up my mind on which one to get. Also at the same time, I want one thats going to make my car look good too. So what you guys think? One that attaches to the trunk or one that sits on the roof of the car?

·
1,333 Posts
cedman said:
Opps I forgot the the other pic. Sorry the pics aren't the best
I put on my Thule rack. I'll take a pic and post it. I know someone else posted a photo with a Yakima or Thule rack.

·
1,333 Posts
Go with a roof rack. Looks better. However, trunks racks are easier to remove and you don't have to drive around with it on your car all week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
-=JRC=- said:

I put on my Thule rack. I'll take a pic and post it. I know someone else posted a photo with a Yakima or Thule rack.

Thanks for the pics JRC!!

Your absolutely right about the trunk mount racks. The only reason why I was considering the trunk mountedone was the fact that it alot easier to take off when your not using it, but it sure looks funny. How long does it take for you to put the roof rack on and off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a good Thule or Yakima roof rack, and add the wind deflector to the front. It'll look nice and decrease wind noise some. Roof racks are the most functional, especially if you get into any other sports. I've owned several Thule systems and they've all been great. Whatever you do though, once you get it installed DO NOT TAKE IT OFF. The more you install/uninstall the rack the more likely you may damage the finish on your car. They aren't very difficult to install or remove, but they aren't meant to be slaped on or pulled off alot unlike the trunk mount racks.

Oh, and be very carefull with a roof rack, no matter who you are or how carefull you are, eventaully you're going to hit something, especially if you have a bike up there. I hung my thule rack complete with bike from a friends tree once. He was having a party and I pulled up on the lawn forgetting I had my bike up there and not paying attention to the tree I was driving under :) Pulled the sucker clean off the car. Not to much damage to the car, one busted piece on the rack.

I've been contemplating getting the proper fit-kit and installing my thule on my 02', but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm kind of holding off because I haven't been riding much or skiing, so I may just haul the bike around in the trunk for now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
trunk rack

go with a trunk rack...they are on sale at Performance bikes. $23 and its a good brand.

·
1,333 Posts
cedman said:

Thanks for the pics JRC!!

Your absolutely right about the trunk mount racks. The only reason why I was considering the trunk mountedone was the fact that it alot easier to take off when your not using it, but it sure looks funny. How long does it take for you to put the roof rack on and off?
It takes long enough that you won't really wanna pu it on and off every trip. I put mine on in the spring and off in the winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
-=JRC=- said:

It takes long enough that you won't really wanna pu it on and off every trip. I put mine on in the spring and off in the winter.
Thanks again guys for all the suggestions. My problem here in sunny California, is that we never really get a Winter season :D I mean the coldest it gets out here is about 40 degrees. Thats why I'm kinda shying away from the roof rack since its a semi-permanent install. I'm just hard pressed installing anything that kinda distracts from the overall look of the car.

afro_ken

go with a trunk rack...they are on sale at Performance bikes. $23 and its a good brand.
Do you know model that was for $23? I checked the website and I didn't see?

·
Registered
45 Posts
cedman said:

Do you know model that was for $23? I checked the website and I didn't see?
I used to be spoiled in the California winters as well, now I know what rain is like.

I looked on the site also and couldn't find it. I went into the local Performance store that is where I saw it. Call em'....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
afro_ken said:

I used to be spoiled in the California winters as well, now I know what rain is like.

I looked on the site also and couldn't find it. I went into the local Performance store that is where I saw it. Call em'....
Thanks man, there's a Performance Store about 10mins from my house and from the looks of it they are having a huge spring sale. Bike transport systems are up to 50% off:D . I owe you one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out the hitch way!

It may be a little more expensive but I think this is the best way and the easiest. I'm going to get a hitch http://www.hitches4less.com/20nisalclasi.html which can be taken off in the off season if you wish or just left on. You can hook up one of those hitch bike racks which just plug right into the hitch. You don't have to worry about your car gatting scratched or waste time attaching a trunk rack or have that roof rack that takes away the good looks of your car.
It's just what I would do! For about $225-$275 you'll have the easiest way to carry bikes!

·
1,333 Posts
Ok, Here is a pic from the front.

From the side

Click and Save Cause I don't know how long the pics will last. Dotphoto deletes them if they get too many downloads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cherry:

I never thought about a hitch. I'll have to take that into consideration when I go to the bike shop.

JRC:

Man that looks really good. I thought a roof rack will make the car look bad, but your pics says otherwise. Thanks again!!

Decisions...Decisions....:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Cherry, go with a hitch rack. There are three different types. Cradle, which cradles the bike like a trunk mount, fork mount, which mounts it like a roof top carrier or tray mount which allows you to leave both wheels on and grabs the bike by the down tube or seat post. I am putting on a fork mount made by Hollywood Racks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
(OT kinda) Bike Rack for 02 Altima??

I have a customer looking for a bike rack for his 2002 Altima..

Anyone know of one???:confused:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.