The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
^purpose is to prevent water from being sucked in the filter and entering the motor which = BAD!!!

Fresh, i had it on mine, directly before the MAF sensor.
but i'll warn you of a loss in power, noticable loss

·
H.I.5-SPEED
186 Posts
RyanD said:
^purpose is to prevent water from being sucked in the filter and entering the motor which = BAD!!!

Fresh, i had it on mine, directly before the MAF sensor.
but i'll warn you of a loss in power, noticable loss
hey ryan, you saying its a big loss? I am waiting to put my Hs CAI in and was gonna get the by pass valve to be safe...you still runnin yours with the valve? I still think i'd rather be safe than sorry but I alway like to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
just think of the locaiton of the bypass valve as the intake cone in a wai. you'll be better off just buying a wai than getting a cai and putting that POS foam valve on.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
don't waste ur money. don't drive thru knee deep water and u'll be fine.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
fire said:
the aem bypass valve won't work on any other intake but an aem so don't waste your time and money if you have a hs or pr intake
http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm
It will. They probably just word it the way they did to mean that putting on an intake other than from AEM will void its warranty.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I helped install one on my friends integra (AEM pre bypass). Its a rubber thing with vents covered by rubber flaps and covered with foam. It shouldn't allow much if any air in unless the end of the pipe is blocked (or you filter sucks). I don't think it'll decrease power, it might make the intake quieter though.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
greensoup2 said:
I helped install one on my friends integra (AEM pre bypass). Its a rubber thing with vents covered by rubber flaps and covered with foam. It shouldn't allow much if any air in unless the end of the pipe is blocked (or you filter sucks). I don't think it'll decrease power, it might make the intake quieter though.
do you have one on your car that you drive everyday and would notice if there WAS a loss in power? prolly not

it's a waste, but if you don't wanna believe the veterans, then go waste the money and buy, then lose power!!

it will work on any intake. It's called marketing and AEM did a good job on that advertisement. it worked on one guy here, i'm sure it worked on many others too

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
OMG..there are people out there who still think its the bomb shit?!? AEM did a VERY good job on marketing this product. even with that NSX that they had displayed at shows showing it works. cai+bypass valve = wai. except you pay more for the cai/valve combo. why even buy parts that'll give you HP when you'll be too afraid to drive it. damn!!!
ryand..i feel your frustration..

·
Registered
774 Posts
RyanD said:
do you have one on your car that you drive everyday and would notice if there WAS a loss in power? prolly not

it's a waste, but if you don't wanna believe the veterans, then go waste the money and buy, then lose power!!

it will work on any intake. It's called marketing and AEM did a good job on that advertisement. it worked on one guy here, i'm sure it worked on many others too
No, my friend has it on his autox car. Roll, 4 point belts, suspension, kumhos etc. He didn't complain about any power loss and he raced his car constantly AND had the intake on his car without the bypass for a very long time. He daily drives the car AND autoxed probably 2-3 time a month.

Yeah sure I'll take your seat of the pants incidental as truth.

I don't know why you guys think it'll pull air from under the hood, the vents on it are covered and are pretty small when compared to the size of the air filter.

Its built for a reason, even if you lost that whopping 2hp that you claim to "feel" at least if you had to drive around in the rain you don't have to work about hydrolock.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
i've had the cai for over 2 years now in the torrential downpours of Florida and not one problem. Plus i'm lowered over 2". but if you wanna waste the money, go right ahead. It's a $40 insurance policy, but i was willing to take the chance.

it may be 1 hp, it may be 5hp. I don't care what the numbers are, i felt a loss in power. the car was sluggish and felt restricted in top end.

the little rubber flaps are weak. they're rubber!!!!! They're designed to open whenever air in the intake reaches a certain pressure due to the filter being submerged in water. However, when the motor is revving high and the intake air pressure raises, the flaps open eventhough they aren't supposed to. And then you get a mixture of air temps, and whatever!!!! Who knows what happens, but it sucks.

i think i know my car enough and have been in this hobby, or whatever you wanna call it, long enough to be able to tell when MY CAR isn't running up to par. As soon as i removed it, BAM, it runs like a champ again. Go figure.

So call it what you will, but by my experience, it's a shitty product.

·
Registered
774 Posts
RyanD said:
i've had the cai for over 2 years now in the torrential downpours of Florida and not one problem. Plus i'm lowered over 2". but if you wanna waste the money, go right ahead. It's a $40 insurance policy, but i was willing to take the chance.

it may be 1 hp, it may be 5hp. I don't care what the numbers are, i felt a loss in power. the car was sluggish and felt restricted in top end.

the little rubber flaps are weak. they're rubber!!!!! They're designed to open whenever air in the intake reaches a certain pressure due to the filter being submerged in water. However, when the motor is revving high and the intake air pressure raises, the flaps open eventhough they aren't supposed to. And then you get a mixture of air temps, and whatever!!!! Who knows what happens, but it sucks.

i think i know my car enough and have been in this hobby, or whatever you wanna call it, long enough to be able to tell when MY CAR isn't running up to par. As soon as i removed it, BAM, it runs like a champ again. Go figure.

So call it what you will, but by my experience, it's a shitty product.
Maybe its not the bypass, maybe its the intake design or the location its installed in. Maybe you're filter is not flowing properly and the pressure drop across it is too high.

I assume you installed in on the filter side of the MAF.

Maybe this is an indication that the piping is too small and there is something to be gained by running a large piping with a larger filter.

It seems counter intuitive that the easiest path for the air to take is through a foam filter and bend back a rubber flap, perpendicular to the normal flow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts