The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a custom short shifter made for my car if anyone is interested let me know. The short shifter is supposed to be bad ass. As soon as I find out how short the throws are going to be I will let you know but he does shifters for porsches all the time so... should be a signifcant difference. Right around the 180-200 dollar range would be my guess on price. If anyone is interested let me know group buy might be cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where about in Arizona are you from? I live in North Phoenix and would be inteseted in seeing the shifter once you get it on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would too but I live in Cali. I want one bad...

·
Gone Postal!!!
280 Posts
me too!!!

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
580 Posts
count me in!

·
Willow Springs, Turn 4
1,034 Posts
Hell.........every one of us with a 5 speed wants one !

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Dad owns a machine shop and we just knocked up a prototype short shifter today. I didn't yet measure the difference in throw, nor did I take any pics, but it is a bolt on affair that takes roughly 15 mins to put on. I am playing with adjustable throw points, but I have mine pulled back so that I can shift through all 5 gears without pulling my elbow off of the armrest (roughly a 5 " throw). The biggest problem is not the linkage but that it will not fit under the stock boot.
After trying for a couple hours to make it fit under the stock boot, I decided that I am going to suck it up and modify the housing and have a custom boot made at a trim shop. I will have pics up as soon as it is done, but I might have some pics of the prototype up in a couple days.
I asked him how much he would want for them and he figures they would cost about $60 if I ordered a few of them. If anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
me need one!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome, finally someone is deciding to make it. I am in as soon as we see some pics and depending on how difficult it is to put in.

ZaKmAnZ and shorty1100, can you guys please put up some pics and a detailed description of your prototypes so that we can evalutate and see them.

-Matrix

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill post all the info as soon as I get it. I am taking my car in next week to get all my suspension done and performance stuff done. While thats being done hes going to take it out and engineer me a knew shifter should be a week turnaround he said. Ill have digitial pics of everything. BTW I live in scottsdale and I have a condo in california so if anyone wants to see it before they buy it I can be in both places to meet anyone pretty regularly. =) Thanks Zak

·
Yankmy Member
715 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
IM in BIG TIME!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't get pics yet, but I can describe the installation. First off, remove the p.o.s. shift boot/trim cover, being very careful that it doesnt desinigrate in you hands. (No need to remove the knob to see this, since it is CRAZY glued on) The nut that hold the linkage to the handle is removed. My piece uses a spacer to mount to the same location and reaches far enough back to grab the handle for support. I have 3 different holes in mine to adjust throw and tilt, which uses a bushing and a 1/4-20 capscrew to mount the linkage to.

The front underside of the console, where the linkage goes past, needs to be dremeled out, but will never be visible with the cover on.

So in essence, remove a nut, slide on the fabricated piece, slide on a spacer, retighten nut. Select appropriate hole for you preference of handle location, slide a bolt with a bushing thru the linkage and tighten. Completely reversible and it'll take you longer to find your dremel than it will to remove the 1/4 X 1 1/2 piece of plastic.

Like I said, The cover needs to be modified, and I haven't come up with a pretty and effective idea quite yet.

I also decided to cut my handle down an inch and a half or so. The shifting takes more effort, and it has a nice feeling notchiness to it. Gas mileage is suffering 'coz it's a hell of a lot more fun to be snicking thru the gears, playin boy racer. but I can live with that.

Altimat's version is very similar to mine in practice and geometry, but mine is bolt on and his is welded. What dedication he has! FYI my prototype has a spacing of 1.1" up and forward of the stock mount. Find Alitimat's pics if you dont want to pop your car apart, until I get mine.

·
est. 1973
2,884 Posts
shorty1100 said:
I also decided to cut my handle down an inch and a half or so. The shifting takes more effort, and it has a nice feeling notchiness to it.
Thats what I want a shifter that requires more effort and is notchy. I'll pass:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Then again, maybe you like the feeling of rowing a boat, long throws and no feel. I suppose that you like the feeling of the overboosted powersteering too. To each his own. That's why you are stroking your checks, and I am sending mine. That's the beauty of America.

·
Willow Springs, Turn 4
1,034 Posts
shorty1100 said:
Then again, maybe you like the feeling of rowing a boat, long throws and no feel. I suppose that you like the feeling of the overboosted powersteering too. To each his own. That's why you are stroking your checks, and I am sending mine. That's the beauty of America.
Yer not making friends Dood !:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts