The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Did anyone upgrade radio antenna in their 2013+ altima due to bad reception?

When it's cloudy some radio stations get statisticy, noise etc. Seem like poor reception. I was unaware that antenna was inside read windshield and I have sticker placed on rear window.
Is default antenna crap in your experience or good. I was looking at those shark antennas but i'm unsure if that would make it better or pehaps that sticker is making it little worst.
It just seems receptions is on weak side IMO.

Anyone upgraded OEM antenna and to what antenna? Are those shark fins any good? Wanna ask maybe it's my isolated issue but i doubt it. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok i've been paying attention to altimas on the road and some have little sqare like antenna on back of the roof (like sharkfin but square one) and some don't like mine. My manual says it's build into glass which is why i suspect radio reception sometimes suck.

I looked at model and S some have and SV some have on roof so it's model irrelevant. Is this year specific. Will sharkfin like antenna increase factory gain?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Shark antennas are typically for satellite (ie XM Radio). Stickers on a window will not affect radio reception of an antenna unless they contain metal/foil/metallized particles. So unless it has a mirror effect, you're fine. My first step would be to verify the connection at the window and on the rear of the radio unit itself...connectors sometimes are improperly attached. From what I've seen, and I'm talking Gen3 and Gen4 Altimas, already have a powered antenna amp...so maybe check that it's getting power and the connections are good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope someone reads this & gets back to me... i just bought a used 2017 nissan altima 2.5 SR midnight edition w/36k miles. My FM reception is horrible... dont know much about stereos but i always wrench on my own cars. Need to know what to do/look for.

Note: its stock radio but all the windows alrdy had a very dark tint on them. Also i read on here something about window defroster... well my rear window dont defrost... & ive had the car for about 2 weeks.. starting to wish i didnt buy it even tho i do enjoy it

-Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is one of many designs defects of Altimas (CVT is the worst) , the antenna is in the rear windshield and is connected to a booster, small black plastic box that I believe is in the rear pillar, make shure your booster have 12v and the wires that form the antenna are conected to the booster, the 12v comes from the stereo harness, if you have the 12v then is working as designed by Nissan, I do not recommend making holes to install a whip antenna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts