The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And also, how would the sound of a magnaflow be?

1998 Altima, would it be overly loud or anything?

I kinda want some quiet, but am curious if just changing the muffler, if it'd really do anything, and if the rest of the car is all stock, would it make much sense to go from the 2 inch piping to 2.25 ot 2.5?

Basically, being all stock, would a magnaflow muffler really do anything other than just sound different, and how would it sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
A straight through muffler will gain around 5-7 whp. This is dyno proven not only by my 93 auto but countless others including Shock's own dyno done years ago that is still on this site as well as SCC's piece of junk 95 auto that went from 111whp (same #s mine dynoed at) to 125 w/only their straight through muffler and WAI. There are other examples as well.

However, as was alluded to, you may not want the extra, extra noise that comes w/the muffler though adding a second resonator could quiet the noise I guess....

Jeremy

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
^ thats exactly what he means

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just got a Magnaflow 14829 installed on stock piping, and it seems that i did lose just a bit of low end power. High end power is noticably more, though. I got it more for the looks and the sound, and am very pleased with both of those things.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Hey guys, those dyno numbers I was referring to was only with the addition of the straight through muffler- A full catback setup may not net much more peak hp but will gain a couple more overall. For example: SCC Project 240sx ('98 SE) : They added an Apexi catback (60-70mm) and gained an 8hp peak and 16whp at around 6000rpm...Seeing how similar our engines are, I wouldn't see why we wouldn't see similar gains up top.

BTW, I was surprised to find out that the 2.5 Sentras use 1 7/8" piping which IIRC is the same is the Altima's....

Personally, I'm going to get an OBX catback ($200) and add another Variable Capacity muffler when I find one....

Jeremy

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, what are everyone's opinions on sound?

I just want something that well, sounds a little deep, nice, loud but quiet, not too attracting, but something noticable, heh, crazy I know.

I think someone out there must know what I mean.

How will it sound if I just change the muffler to one of the magnaflows, but keep everything else stock?

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seriously?

o_O?

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone else on the sound of a magnaflow?

Like I said...

I don't want something too loud, or too yucky sounding...

Definately whatever the Calfornia db legal level is...

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
If you're not going to stay w/a stock muffler, then one of the quietest we know of IS Magnaflow.....You just have to decide which model you like. Personally, if I get one eventually, it'll probably be the 14827 or 14829....There should be some pics or links to pics in the thread I started a couple of weeks ago, including the statement that the Magnaflow's output was a mere 81 or 84db, well below the 95db limit....

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166629

Just a note, 'searching' will many times help you find the answer you're looking for faster than the time it takes to wait for days or more for answers to a new thread...

Hope you eventually decide on one......:p

Jeremy

·
Teh Alty Pwns
24 Posts
I installed a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and bought achrome tip myself. It sound snice now, not too ricey, and not too quiet, but noticeable. Also i feel that once it gets between 2000 and 3000 RPM, it gets this extra kick without me givin it more gas, it jsut accelerates alot faster. inlet/outlet 2.25.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Magnaflow's output was a mere 81 or 84db, well below the 95db limit...."

Anyone know what the stock muffler puts out [how many db]?

Also...

How much would it cost, or where could I get 2.25 inch piping to go with the muffler?

I'm noticing for a lot of people it's custom, so...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts