The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.............let me start off by saying that anyone who has ever bitched and moaned about their rear shocks on their 2002+ Altima no longer has an excuse to complain!! If your Altima has the infamous "clunk sound" in your rear shocks, do not go to the dealer to get it fixed!!! My "clunk sound" didn't show up until a couple months after doing my Sportlines so I couldn't get them replaced under warranty. I have been listening to that sound for the last 42,000+ miles.

Install is a breeze!!! Experienced modders should only take about 20 or so minutes a side and those that are new to the mod world should only take about 30-35 minutes maximum! I give it about a 1 1/2 to maybe a 2 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. I sent some detailed installation instructions to AT last night. They should have them up on their web site soon. Here are a couple of links to DOC and PDF versions of the instructions.

Microsoft Word Format
Adobe Acrobat PDF Format

I set the AT KYB's to 4 to try out for a little. I noticed a difference right away!! Pulling out of my driveway there is a small drop when pulling into the street. Before I used to bounce a bit (especially in the back) pulling out but this time the car was solid. My first test drive was only around my neighborhood (stayed within a couple miles) but I could really feel a difference in the back end of the car. I took some quick turns and sharp corners considerably faster than I normally do and I could feel the back end grip perfectly. I also hit a couple of annoying bumps in my area that I always avoid and the shocks took them beautifully!!

My first real road test is my morning commute to work (35 miles - 60/40 hwy/city). Once again I was very impressed. I only have about three really good high-speed turns on the way to work but I really pushed the car hard on each one. The back end just sticks to the road like it is glued there!! I came into a 90-degree turn into a frontage road at 48mph and came out of it doing 63mph. WOW!! The car felt awesome!! The front end had a little bit of a hard time keeping up with the back. I am definitely going to have to replace the fronts sometime soon to balance things out.

Some additional information would be that the setting of 4 might be a bit too tight for regular daily drivers. If you want to do some ripping around and some sweet cornering than 4 (or higher) is more than perfect! I am going to leave it on 4 for another week or so and then try 3 to see what kind of a difference it feels like. I don't have any kind of stereo or additional weight in my car so 4 might be too much for the regular driving. Before the new AT KYB's, as I drove along on some parts of some of the road around here I kind of had a slight "wompa-wompa" bounce in the car (more so in back) due to the elevation, bumps, etc... in the road. This is completely gone now and the feeling is a real firm but not majorly stiff ride. The car's back end really sticks to the road!! The car is so much quiter on the inside now with the new shocks. It brings me back to the days when the car was brand new!!

All in all the AT KYB's are totally friggen awesome!! The handeling performance improvements are even more noticable that my Sportlines and sway bar upgrades. I very highly recommend these to anyone who is really looking to improve the handeling of their car!!

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are more than welcome Dave and everyone else at AT for the installation instructions. I am glad I could give a little back. OK.........I have got about 125 miles on the shocks now and the more I drive the more I love them!! I really got to give them a good workout this morning because I had to go into work really early. Overall there is a huge difference in the handling of the car. At times it is almost misleading because you kind of get the sensation of a rear-wheel drive car. Sometimes it almost feels like the back end is kind of pushing the car because it sticks to the road so tightly. I could really feel the difference between the front versus the back while pushing it hard around some of the corners this morning. A couple of times the front was just starting to break while the back zipped around like it was nothing. I could also feel a difference in the roll. The back end stayed really nice and tight with literally almost no roll to the car while the front twisted a bit. You could feel the back end of the car compensating for this though. It was awesome!! :bigok:

I am still leaning towards the idea that setting these new AT KYB shocks to 4 is a little too much. Not because it is too "bouncy-bouncy" but because the car now follows the contours of the road. The new shocks handle any kind of bumps beautifully but the car tends to follow the dips and shifts in the road now. The back end of the car just stays glued to the road and it tightly follows the shape and feel as you are driving along at highway speeds (well "my kind" :D of highway speeds that is). I don't have any kind of extra weight to the car so for regular daily driving (which is a lot for me) I am thinking that turning it down one would take care of this and give the shocks a little more comfortable play to them. I am going to try a couple of different settings (higher and lower) no matter what just to see what kinds of differences I feel anyway. If anyone else puts these on and sets them differently, please post your findings and thoughts.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dnvrfan said:
These sound awsome definately going to have to save up for this.
You said it man!! Anyone who has ever complained about their suspension needs to pick these up!! These things are sweet!

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These will most definitely improve your ride!! Anyone who is interested in greatly increasing their car's handling and suspension performance should jump right on these!!

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SpankinAltima said:
i have that same setup now and i have it set on 8 so the ride is nice and stiff just the way i like it for slicing the highway lanes.
I bet 8 is really tight. Do you have a system? I am in my car for 400-500 miles a week (70+ miles a day) and I don't know if I could take them set on 8 for that amount of driving. I be it would be fun as hell to rip around on them set to 8 though!! :D

·
Got VQ Power?? On Juice??
1,470 Posts
Jayman9207 said:
I bet 8 is really tight. Do you have a system? I am in my car for 400-500 miles a week (70+ miles a day) and I don't know if I could take them set on 8 for that amount of driving. I be it would be fun as hell to rip around on them set to 8 though!! :D
no i dont have a system but the ride is so nice and stiff. im looking to get a system later on. but right now i have to put my stillen kit on and sarona fenders and hood.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SIR NUPE A LOT said:
If you had a system in the trunk what would be the suggested setting... i.e. 2 10" subs and amps, and truck garabage??
I would think that four or five would be more than sufficient. If you have some people in the back seat five or six would work.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
According to the specification information that came with the shocks, settings 1 - 3 are for "soft" and 4 - 8 are for "hard". After driving around for almost a week and about 350 miles on them, I was really starting to get used to the setting of 4. Sure it was still a bit stiff, but I was really starting to get used to the ride and the feeling. Cornering is totally friggen awesome at that setting. It is almost always just me in the car so there isn't much extra weight in the car and I love the way the car feels when zipping around high-speed corners.

I changed the setting to 3 this morning but haven't had a chance to go anywhere yet. I think the wife and I are going to do a little bit of shopping and errands today so I will get to put a little bit of miles on at that setting. After I get 200 to 300 miles on I will post back up and let you know what kind of differences there might be.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts