The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll delete this thread after PT reads and responds.

AsleepAltima said to use a long screwdriver to push the lower timing chain tensioner in. I've already tried that but wasnt' successful. He didn't mentin how much force was needed.

2nd part is, I think our tensioner might be busted. The piston wiggles and sounds like the spring's loose. Can you check that? Also, there's supposed to be a lil pin to press that allows us to retract the tensioner. I couldn't find it w/my finger or screwdriver. U wanna give it a shot?

3rd thing: Ashura said to drop the engine as low as possible, remove the wheel well splash guard, and pull the lower timing chain cover off...I think this should be the last ditch effort. I'm not gonna borrow the engine crane if we go this route.

4th issue: I hope we marked all the chains/cams/distributer...And I hope the radiator stop leak doesn't mess any of the internals up.

Jae

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
what re you trying to do?...if it's a head gasket...you DO NOT have to remove the lower timing chain at all...only the upper!!!..i replaced my head gasket 1 1/2 months ago...so ask if you have any Q's...

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
ThurzNite said:
4th issue: I hope we marked all the chains/cams/distributer...
if you have a haines manual you really don't need to worry about marking them...

as long as the engine crank is set back to top dead center (TDC) when you are done you can set the cams and upper chain based on the book...it has pictures and instructions...the timing is based off the exhaust cam..get that set correctly (it aligns with the horizontal split in the head) and the distributor has no choice but to fit properly...then set the intake cam mark (the little circle on the gear) a certain (i believe 7 but the book tells you) number of chain links from the exhaust cam mark (same little circle)...and you are good to go...the upper chain even has painted links to help you if you want to use them but i found it more trouble then it was worth...i never even completely removed the upper chain...just pushed it to the side to get the head off...

sorry if this is way off topic from what you are doing...if so disregard...

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
^^commenting on what I said, that was some time ago, so I didn't remember much. Pretty much I was asked to replace the T-chain assy and put in new valve guides, so that's why the front cover was taken off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts