1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
67 Posts
looks like the JL spec boxes they have on their website...

the ported box you have at 1.5 cubes is a bit too small for a ported box, you wont get very good low end response, but will get quick hitting bass...

I'd go with the 2 cube box if you like to hear detail in your bass

for even more lowend response I'd go with the "purist" box on JL's site....

it all depends on what kind of music you prefer....low bass that can kill small animals or quick tighter bass without very low bass under 40 hz...

email JL for specs for a rectangular port...and dont forget to account for board thickness, sub displacement and brace displacement......let me know how it turns out...BTW try to keep your vent mach between .04-.12 (i prefer a limit of .10 myself) keeping your port as short as possible...the greater the surface area of your port the longer it will get very fast...

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but is 40hz under very loud? I would rather it be louder than deep. So I guess the 1.5 will work out good. I have thought about packing it with polyfill and tring to bring it up to 1.75. It should rock!

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
02silver2.5l said:
I have thought about packing it with polyfill and tring to bring it up to 1.75. It should rock!
you lost me there...

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
texasbanger said:
looks like the JL spec boxes they have on their website...

the ported box you have at 1.5 cubes is a bit too small for a ported box, you wont get very good low end response, but will get quick hitting bass...

I'd go with the 2 cube box if you like to hear detail in your bass

for even more lowend response I'd go with the "purist" box on JL's site....

it all depends on what kind of music you prefer....low bass that can kill small animals or quick tighter bass without very low bass under 40 hz...

email JL for specs for a rectangular port...and dont forget to account for board thickness, sub displacement and brace displacement......let me know how it turns out...BTW try to keep your vent mach between .04-.12 (i prefer a limit of .10 myself) keeping your port as short as possible...the greater the surface area of your port the longer it will get very fast...

let me know if you get the specs for the box, i want to make a ported one for my 12w0, or i might just make a bandpass

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you stuff the inside of a sealed or ported box it make the woofer think it is in a bigger box. normally you can only gain .15 to .25 cu.

look at www.jlaudio.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
02silver2.5l said:
but is 40hz under very loud? I would rather it be louder than deep. So I guess the 1.5 will work out good. I have thought about packing it with polyfill and tring to bring it up to 1.75. It should rock!
forget the polyfill...between 35hz-45hz is what makes you shake and your teeth rattle...:D

let me know if you get the specs for the box, i want to make a ported one for my 12w0, or i might just make a bandpass
go to JL's website and download the box specs...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just modeled it out and i can't seem to make the W6 throw a good graph... mine all look like yours. I know the W6 can sound great ported, but it needs a really big box.
Looks like 4 cubes each is a borderline SQ box.... still looks boomy. That really doesn't look like a good sq or SPL box... i dunno, when you said "I would rather it be louder than deep." did you want an SPL setup that you could still listen to or do you just not care about deep bass?

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: .

02silver2.5l said:
well its in the back of a 2002 altima so sq is not going to matter because I will not be able to hear it thur the back seat.
I don't know where you got this idea, but it is the silliest thing i have ever heard. Honestly where did you get this idea? Bass being omnidirectional is not constrained to sound good or bad because it has to go through the back seat, only the SPL should be affected. If what you said were true i wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the IDSPL and the Infinity perfect in TL's Altima, and i can garantee that there is a huge difference.

02silver2.5l said:

That being the case I rather it have more punch in your chest. Jl recommends between 1.50 and 2.50 for a ported box.

here is the normal.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/detailedpdfs/W6/12W6Normal.pdf

the db monster

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/detailedpdfs/W6/12W6dB.pdf
I can's seem to open that page, it causes my computer to freeze every time, but as i said before it looke like you get a better curve with a very large ported box.... it looks like it rolls off way too fast in a small one.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe it is called a vented box instead of a ported box. They do sound better because of less port nosey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts