The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, now I know this topic has been discussed and rediscussed, but I REALLY have my mind set on converting my '94 GXE to a 5-Speed. You see, I've researched different vendors and found used 5-speed transmissions for the same model (non-lsd and everything) for less than $300.00.

Other than the throttle-body apparatus, clutch pedal, stick/boot cover, and exhaust-manifold (apparently the 5-speed manifold is different, unless of course headers are installed, which are universal), lower idle-speed and tranny itself, can anyone else think of any parts that are different? And if the appropriate tools were rented/aquired (i.e. tranny-stand, ect.) , and the FSM was at my dispossal, would this conversion be possible? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when u figure out everything that is needed can you please let me know. i want to convert mine really bad and i just need a little help
thanks
will
Dude, maybe you can help me research what we will need to get in order to pull this off. I love me car and got a great deal on it so $500.00 or so for a tranny swap is no biggie. Do you have a factory service manual? Also, what year/edition is your altima?

·
11,384 Posts
I think the ECU would be fine. The auto has a separate computer specifically for the tranny, so it's like and add on to the main ECU. I'm guessing that you just remove the auto computer and you're good to go.

One of the members has already done the swap...I want to say his name was something like Topnotch Forever....Post in the Topnotch forum, one of those guys could help you out.

·
Resident drunken chef!
389 Posts
You don't have to swap the computer, it will be fine. You might have to change you speedometer, when i did mine I had to. I think that the autous and manny speedo's are geared diferent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys!! Just what I was looking for. Well, other than the tranny I'll bet the rest of the parts are gonna run me a pretty penny, even if they are used...

Scootter, supposing I will have to change my speedo, will I be able to use the same gauge cluster? I'm assuming by speedometer you're talking about the sensor/apparatus that is mounted on the axle or wheel or whatever and not the actual gauge display. Am I correct on this one? Thanks.

·
Resident drunken chef!
389 Posts
The sensor in the tranny is diferent, but you can not switch them because the are diferent sizes. you'll probably just have to pull a speedo out of a 5 spd. the rest of you cluster will work

·
master of the 5th speed
55 Posts
let me kill some of the false rumors:

1. idle speed does not have to be adjusted.
2. exhaust manifold/header does not make a difference.
3. peterson is right about the tb. keep the auto in, it's bigger.
4. it's cheaper to get a 5spd ecu from junk than getting auto reprogrammed. auto will run the car but recommend getting 5spd.
5. it's gonna cost you alot more than $500. even if you do it yourself.
6. speedometer has nothing to do with the swap.

email me for more details and ???'s. and yes, i'm the one who's done it already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.