The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been having problems with the automatic transmission 1-2 shift under heavy throttle? I have experienced this concern with the funny odor, almost a rubber smell. The dealer has recently replaced the valve body in mine with some slight improvement.
I have read the posts on installing a cooler, but this will only mask the real problem If anyone else has experienced this with a know fix please contact me.
Thanks
gwrench

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
I notice that sometimes the 1-2 shift is crisp and quick like I like it. Other times, it seems to lag--sort of like it hangs on at top RPM's before deciding to shift.

Like you said though, only under heavy throttle. Driving normally it does just fine. I was thinking a cooler may be needed also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I experienced this the other day after a heavy snow here in PA.....was trying to rock the car free using 1st and 2nd gear.....started smelling burning tranny fluid i think

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
Steveofcourse said:
I experienced this the other day after a heavy snow here in PA.....was trying to rock the car free using 1st and 2nd gear.....started smelling burning tranny fluid i think
No smell here...

Steveo____ What part of PA you from????

·
Registered
176 Posts
On my car, the 1-2 shift takes like 1/2 an hour. It seems to like hanging up inthe 4000 rpm range for whatever reason. Other times it will shift faster. This tranny sux.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
bruncek said:
On my car, the 1-2 shift takes like 1/2 an hour. It seems to like hanging up inthe 4000 rpm range for whatever reason. Other times it will shift faster. This tranny sux.
Indeed it does:(

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well, more than likely the tranny doesn't suck, but the ECM programming may need some adjustments. I've made lots of tranny adjustments on my LS1, and I can tell you a few adjustments can make the tranny act like a completely different animal. More than likely what's happening here is bad torque management. TM is something manufacturers put in to extend the life of the tranny. They pull timing at the shift points (to ease the stress on the tranny), and that results in lazy, or put otherwise, f#cked up shifts. This is easily changed, as soon as someone comes out with an Edit program for our cars. In addition to deleting TM, you can increase the shift firmness, change the shift points, etc. Trust me, changes to the ECM are the answer, so don't give up. We just need the program now...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts