The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got a 95 altima with about 183000 miles on it with he original trans. it is unknown if the trans have ever been flushed or if the filter has ever been change. i bought the car at 140000. i have never done it sense i got the car. and now the trans is hesitating when shifting into 2nd gear. should i change the filter and allwith the fuild or should i just change the fuild or is it to late and i need a new tranny? and if i can get away with just fuild and filter what fuild should i use? obviously atf but what brand is best? thanks guys

·
///M Time!
3,872 Posts
Change filter and fluid...I'd go with royal purple but its pricey.

·
///M Time!
3,872 Posts
The only way to replace said solenoid would be to drop the pan which would mean a fluid and filter change anyways...

I wouldn't do a flush...just drop the pan, collect and measure the amount of oil that comes out...put new filter and pan gasket on and put same amount of tranny fluid in that came out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys. i dont have the money to use royal purple nor do i want to invest that much money. my car has alot of miles on it. i do want to use a quality tranny fluid but nothing that is going to cost as much as royal purple. what other fluid would you suggest? thanks agian!!

·
///M Time!
3,872 Posts
Any regular auto transmission fluid should be fine...its gonna be a lot better than whatever is in your transmission now anyways. Just make sure it meets the correct specifications (which I am unsure of currently). Just go to your local auto store and buy a couple quarts...I think you will need at least 6 to 7 quarts if you do a drain and fill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Its supposed to be really good for high mileage trannys. Just to a regular drain/fill. Drain the pan, measure what comes out then refill. I think about 4-5 quarts come out depending on the angle of the car. then if its still doing it, wait a week with mixed city/highway driving in between then do the drain/fill again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You shouldn't change your transmission fluid since you have over 100,000 miles on the car. Changing it could actually make it worse. Lucas is some good stuff, my shop uses it a good bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 01 has 280,000 should I drain/fill the tranny or na. I sometimes have to pedal shift it to get it to change gears. Just recently it's not going over 40 mph any suggestions

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
New trans time. You can't wait until it's messed up to do something that should have been done years ago.........well, you CAN, but you are about to see how well that works.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Do you know which way UP is? Because I really don't think you are getting it............my post was clear enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lol I plugged it up to a diagnostic device and the only code came up was p0400 exhaust recirculation flow, any suggestion

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Most worn parts in a trans WON'T put out codes, there are like a 1000 parts there. And if you used a cheapie reader then trans codes won't show anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts