The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed that the shifting is a bit better when the TCS is off in automatics?

I have also noticed that when in Drive the auto downshift has a great deal of lag (the ECU does not seem to adjust the timing/fuel map), vs. downshifting manually.

Anyone noticed this? Comments?

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
TCS sucks...

...it should only be used in bad road conditions. You are right--it takes over your tranny and emasculates it.

G

·
I found that the traction control really makes a difference in acceleration v/v the transmission shifts. Although I have not yet punched my v6 (never had a need to because it is so quick) I did notice at points where the tires might be breaking lose, the ecm backs off power and when there is traction again power is back on. A very uncomfortable feeling. On my contour, the tcs light would come on whenever the tires slipped and the system activated. I would guess that the nissan system is more up to date then the ford system. I bet when it senses slip, it first reduces power (wonderful fly by wire allows this)and then if necessary, hits the brakes.

So I think the comment about better acceleration w/o tcs is true.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had the TCS light come on and flash at me for a sec on the Altima before...it was from too much wheel spin when taking off from a dead stop.

Kevin

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
tullios shifting

Not much if any difference noticed by me, but, as it is breaking in the shifts seem to be getting a little faster, not to the point where i would call them good, but, getting better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here

First I thought it's just me but after several experimentations, I found out that turning off traction control does affect shifting performance--a lot smoother. Any one know how to turn it off by default? I'm tired of turning it off every time I started the engine.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Re: How to turn off TCS??

lvpower said:
How do you turn this off prior to driving???
push the button

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
tcs sucks

i've had my car for 2 1/2 months now and i always turn it off. maybe it would be good in bad weather conditions, but a waste in southern california. where do i get my $300 back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wish there was a way to defaul it so it was automatically off, and you press the buton to turn it on, vs. the otherway around. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to hitting the button everytime you start the car.

One day I was in NYC and needed to make a quick left, - I almost got hit, because I hit the gas and the TCS kicked in (wrong time for it to kick in) my car cut off the oncoming traffic and I almost got hit.

I tell you one thing - it is amazing to see the tires light up from take off when you turn it off - it's like being back in the days of muscle cars (expect it is FWD and Japanese)...

·
Registered
65 Posts
No traction control here

Hmmm....I haven't seen anybody with a 3.5 auto without the TCS respond to this post yet, so I guess I'll have to be the first. My Alty is smokin' and since I don't have TCS to compare it to, I guess I'm not missing it much from what the rest of y'all are saying. Straight acceleration, no messing around with on/off buttons...just stick it in "D" and I'm off to the races. Sure, if there's snow on the road I might wish for it, but then I could just hop into the Pathfinder instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts