The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to change the automatic transmission oil on my 2004 Nissan Altima. I haven' changed it in almost 4 years. I don't drive it much and only short distances. Anyway, is there a filter that I need to change? Also, can someone please provide instructions on the process of changing the oil and filter if there is a filter? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi, I need to change the automatic transmission oil on my 2004 Nissan Altima. I haven' changed it in almost 4 years. I don't drive it much and only short distances. Anyway, is there a filter that I need to change? Also, can someone please provide instructions on the process of changing the oil and filter if there is a filter? Thanks in advance.
I am unsure of a filter, but I changed mine a year or so ago. In my case there was a bolt under the transmission that has a hex shaped socket. That is my drain plug. Not sure if its the same for all. If you cant find it, I can take a picture of mine. When I did mine, it let out exactly 4 quarts. So I put 4 quarts back in.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
No filter

No there is no filter and be careful you don't over fill, because you can never drain out all your tranny fluid. So you can easy overfill thinking just to put in the total amount your car needs from complete M.T..

·
Registered
138 Posts
from what I've gathered, blue is correct. The way you do it is by measurement. For example, say you remove 5 and 3/8 quarts of fluid. Then you need to put exactly 5 3/8 back. Even if it says 6 qts, you don't put that in. No idea what the amount is, the numbers I gave were just an example. I also heard people doing it again after about a few weeks again since there was probably bad oil that didn't come out as blue explained. I think some do it two times, maybe 3. A quick google should give some more info. And I'm sure there are already a few threads here on the topic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full Flush at Dealership

from what I've gathered, blue is correct. The way you do it is by measurement. For example, say you remove 5 and 3/8 quarts of fluid. Then you need to put exactly 5 3/8 back. Even if it says 6 qts, you don't put that in. No idea what the amount is, the numbers I gave were just an example. I also heard people doing it again after about a few weeks again since there was probably bad oil that didn't come out as blue explained. I think some do it two times, maybe 3. A quick google should give some more info. And I'm sure there are already a few threads here on the topic.
When they do a full flush at the dealership they state they replace the complete transmission fluid from the system. I believe they said 12 quarts. Is the correct?

Also, If drain the AT oil from the pan, I am only draining out approximately half the total amount of oil. Is this a good practice?

Thanks to everyone for all your comments!

·
Registered
138 Posts
When they do a full flush at the dealership they state they replace the complete transmission fluid from the system. I believe they said 12 quarts. Is the correct?

Also, If drain the AT oil from the pan, I am only draining out approximately half the total amount of oil. Is this a good practice?

Thanks to everyone for all your comments!
have you searched the sub for this topic? I'm sure the amount would be in one of those or your manual.

Regarding drainage, whatever comes out, you put back in as I previously posted. So if 6 comes out, put 6 back in. If 11 2/3 qts comes out, put in 11 2/3 back in. Since there is whatever amount that doesn't fully come out, that's why people do multiple drains, when they do it on their own and not a service place.

I've read often to have a service place to it, mostly. I want to try it myself, but I think I"m going to get a place to do it. My mothers car is going at around 180k, and has never had a change.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
No there is no filter .

You're wrong.

If his car is an automatic with a 2.5l engine is does have a transmission filter.

I've changed three of them, two in 03 Altimas, and one in an 05 Altima.

You will have to remove the transmission mount about the transmission to jack the trans up, as there are a few bolts hidden by the frame.

I think there was one bolt that I absolutely couldn't get back into the transmission pan, but I never had any problem with it leaking.

Another thing. I don't think the local autoparts stores carry the filter so you may have to buy one from Ebay.

ATP Auto Trans Filter Kit B 221 for 02 06 Nissan Altima 2004 Maxima Quest | eBay

·
Registered
138 Posts
You're wrong.

If his car is an automatic with a 2.5l engine is does have a transmission filter.

You will have to remove the transmission mount about the transmission to jack the trans up, as there are a few bolts hidden by the frame.

I think there was one bolt that I absolutely couldn't get back into the transmission pan, but I never had any problem with it leaking.

Another thing. I don't think the local autoparts stores carry the filter so you may have to buy one from Ebay.

ATP Auto Trans Filter Kit B 221 for 02 06 Nissan Altima 2004 Maxima Quest | eBay
strange, my father said he paid to get it changed. I couldn't find the part, so I called our Nissan dealership for the 05 Altima automatic. The parts guy said there wasn't one, and I asked him if he was sure. And he called service, and they also said there wasn't one. Now I'm wondering who's nuts. Going to call another Nissan dealership nearby now. edit. whoops, they're closed, will call tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine Size

You're wrong.

The vehicle is a 2004 Altima, V6, 3.5 Liter. Would this have a filter? Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The vehicle is a 2004 Altima, V6, 3.5 Liter. Would this have a filter? Thanks
You didn't state that in your original post. I was pointing out that if it was a 2.5l automatic it would have a filter.

My 05 SER [VQ35 V6, 5 speed auto ] did come with a filter, BUT its inside the damned transmission. So I put my own external filter in the car so that I can change it.

If you plan on keeping your car for a long time I would add the filter. You can read my build thread on how to do it. You will have to drill a hole, and tap two holes, alone with buying a filter, and transmission hose.

You can also add a cooler if you wanted at that time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi, I need to change the automatic transmission oil on my 2004 Nissan Altima. I haven' changed it in almost 4 years. I don't drive it much and only short distances. Anyway, is there a filter that I need to change?
There is no oil filter inside the tranny that's a maintenance replaceable item; there's only an oil strainer that's sandwiched between the upper control valve body and the lower control valve body; that's something you don't want to mess with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tranny Oil Change

There is no oil filter inside the tranny that's a maintenance replaceable item; there's only an oil strainer that's sandwiched between the upper control valve body and the lower control valve body; that's something you don't want to mess with.
I want to save some money. At Oil Can Harry's they want $170 to do a full flush of the oil. If I just drain what is in the pan, fill it with new oil and then run it for two weeks and then drain the pan again and refill that should give me a ratio of around 75 percent of new oil, right? How does that sound?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Avoid doing a full flush of the tranny; it can cause problems with the function of the tranny. Nissan strongly recommends against doing a full flush. Just doing a drain/fill of the pan is all you need to do; do the drain/fill after the tranny is fully warmed up; this will insure that any residue in the pan will be flushed out more readily.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Avoid doing a full flush of the tranny; it can cause problems with the function of the tranny. Nissan strongly recommends against doing a full flush. Just doing a drain/fill of the pan is all you need to do; do the drain/fill after the tranny is fully warmed up; this will insure that any residue in the pan will be flushed out more readily.
Thanks rogoman!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts