The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 GLE started having this prob...
I just crossed 200,000 miles

I start the car after siiting for a while. I put it in drive and NOTHING happens! I put it in 1st or 2nd and the car moves normally till I reach the end of the gear.. Then I push it to drive and it grabs from there and shifts normally.. I can now leave it in drive and it will operate normally till I stop and turn it off for a while..more than 1 hour..

If I get it moving and then try to shove it into drive too soon, it slips like crazy for a few seconds and then catches..

WTF???

I even tried a bottle of Lucas with no luck.. Fluid level is ok..

Why would 1st gear work in the 1st and 2nd position but not in drive????

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
sorry man, but ur trannys goin with almost 200 k. OR, your torque converter might be shot. it might come down to a new tranny, but thats if u wanna put the $$$ in, or if u want, get a manual tranny, look up a search on it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
just dump the thing by the side of the road and save some money, you need a new trany but with a car that has 200K, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALTIMA-SKYLINE said:
just dump the thing by the side of the road and save some money, you need a new trany but with a car that has 200K, it's not worth it.
Sorry, but i'd like a response from a mechanic... I am not trying to be a smartass but..anything can be fixed..

This may be a minor issue. If the car can run fine in 1st and 2nd and then work in 3rd sounds like it may be minor..
The tranny works perfectly once it is warmed up.. I only go through this 1st thing in the morning..

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
hey smartass, YOU NEED A NEW TRANNY!!!!

get the point. mine did the same thing and i had to get the tranny rebuilt.

·
I'll kick your a**
396 Posts
I'm not a mechanic... but I just encountered the same problem almost a month ago. I had to get a new transmission because I lost Drive... 1st and 2nd were fine... drive would slip now and then and then Catch... but one fateful night at 3am, coming from a club.. drunk as hell, I lost DRIVE... sucks... So, if you wanna invest in a car w/ 200+ best of luck to you..... I suggest that you get rid of it...

Sorry......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
d_angel3700 said:
I'm not a mechanic... but I just encountered the same problem almost a month ago. I had to get a new transmission because I lost Drive... 1st and 2nd were fine... drive would slip now and then and then Catch... but one fateful night at 3am, coming from a club.. drunk as hell, I lost DRIVE... sucks... So, if you wanna invest in a car w/ 200+ best of luck to you..... I suggest that you get rid of it...

Sorry......
The wierd thing is that I did not lose drive.. I lose 1st gear when I am in the drive position.

If I put it in second then 1st gear goes fine and 2nd gear goes fine. Then when it runs out of gear...I then push it into drive and then it takes over from there...

1st gear should act the same no matter what position the shift lever is in...:confused:

·
I'll kick your a**
396 Posts
That I understand... once I figured out something was wrong with the car... I pulled over. I tried to get it to go again from
Drive and it wouldn't even move... all it did was REV like crazy. So, I had to put it in 1st, then 2nd... and keep it in 2nd the whole way home.... (not cool on the highway) LOL.... If that is the same...and you REALLY want to keep your car, best to swap out with a new model... I got a 98 tranny put in with only 55thousnad miles... she runs fine now...

Tranny cost 300 (junkyard) Installing was free (baby daddy !! :) so I don't know how much you might pay there....

·
I'll kick your a**
396 Posts
From what your saying, your gonna loose drive soon, mine was doing that a month before she went out...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Face it, you need a new tranny. If you got slippage, it's gone.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flarearrow said:
Face it, you need a new tranny. If you got slippage, it's gone.
Actually I used a bad choice of words...It never slips...It just does not respond at all...Like it's still in neutral..

I am thinking the filter may be so clogged that the fluid is taking too long to circulate.. Today, before I started moving.. I ran the shifter while idling...through reverse and all gears before putting it in drive...She worked fine.... ;)

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Chuckster said:
Actually I used a bad choice of words...It never slips...It just does not respond at all...Like it's still in neutral..
Uh dude.... that's what slippage is.

And that crap about the filter being clogged ... If fluid was not flowing, you just toasted your torque converter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flarearrow said:
Uh dude.... that's what slippage is.

And that crap about the filter being clogged ... If fluid was not flowing, you just toasted your torque converter.
HUh???? T/C's are sealed units..

You know, I have not gotten a single good answer yet.. I already know replacing the tranny is an option...That is quite obvious. I did not need to post to get that answer...

What I am looking for is someone to say something like.....

"dude that happened to me...Turns out the linkage was not adjusted right..Or pull the pan and change the filter cause mine was all clogged up.."

Quite honestly I can live with the problem...I just thought someone may have an idea as to what EXACTLY is wrong... not "Dude tranny is shot" If I went to a transmission shop and they told me that. I'd turn around and walk out.. I want to know EXACTLY WHY it's shot...What part is shot? You guys have made this thing sound like it grenaded it'self in side the case. And that there is nothing left...

I have never opened the pan or cleaned the filter in the 200,000 miles I have had it. I just came back from a trip to Orlando.. I drove 400 miles at 90mph..The Tranny shifts fine...IT does not slip in any gear.. Even under WOT from a standstill. Yes I said WOT. This car has seen Redline every day I have driven it. Other than the oil leaking from the crank seal. I don't burn a spec of oil either.

·
Registered
674 Posts
T/C's aren't sealed. Fluid travels through it all the time.

My vote is for the new transmission. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a good tranny from the junkyard with lower mileage,

Usually if you start having issues with the transmission, it is too late for fluid/filter/solenoid/linkage/...... changes/adjustments etc.

But, for $50, you could buy yourself a case of ATF, a filter, a pan gasket, and perform some drain/refills and a filter change out of desperation. Once you try this and the problems continues, you'll end up only burning a $50.

So, you have used Redline in the engine?
What have you used in the transmission other than the Lucas mudoil? How often has the ATF been changed?
200k on the ATF filter is twice too long? Would you drive 200k on an original oil filter:D

Several things can cause 1st gear to work in '1' but not in 'D'.
Valve body failure
Solenoid failure
Low fluid or low ATF line pressure
Linkage adjustment
Mechanically worn transmission--transmission/engine compression brakes in '1' and '2' but not in drive. This might be giving you a false 'sense of security' that it isn't broken when it is already hopeless. If someone with a 93 FSM can post the automatic debug and gear/clutch assignments, I could almost tell you exactly what is wrong.
Most transmission shops will opt for the complete rebuild for almost any AT issue(why most say its rebuild time) because it isn't worth doing a temporary/partial fix and have the customer come back some time later with other issues. There are consumers out there getting new transmissions because of simple linkage adjustment, low fluid, defective solenoids, damaged TCU, clogged filter etc. Too bad there aren't enough honest shops out there. Profit is everything!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
deadrx7conv said:
T/C's aren't sealed. Fluid travels through it all the time.

My vote is for the new transmission. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a good tranny from the junkyard with lower mileage,

Usually if you start having issues with the transmission, it is too late for fluid/filter/solenoid/linkage/...... changes/adjustments etc.

But, for $50, you could buy yourself a case of ATF, a filter, a pan gasket, and perform some drain/refills and a filter change out of desperation. Once you try this and the problems continues, you'll end up only burning a $50.

So, you have used Redline in the engine?
What have you used in the transmission other than the Lucas mudoil? How often has the ATF been changed?
200k on the ATF filter is twice too long? Would you drive 200k on an original oil filter:D

Several things can cause 1st gear to work in '1' but not in 'D'.
Valve body failure
Solenoid failure
Low fluid or low ATF line pressure
Linkage adjustment
Mechanically worn transmission--transmission/engine compression brakes in '1' and '2' but not in drive. This might be giving you a false 'sense of security' that it isn't broken when it is already hopeless. If someone with a 93 FSM can post the automatic debug and gear/clutch assignments, I could almost tell you exactly what is wrong.
Most transmission shops will opt for the complete rebuild for almost any AT issue(why most say its rebuild time) because it isn't worth doing a temporary/partial fix and have the customer come back some time later with other issues. There are consumers out there getting new transmissions because of simple linkage adjustment, low fluid, defective solenoids, damaged TCU, clogged filter etc. Too bad there aren't enough honest shops out there. Profit is everything!
THANK YOU!!!!!:D :D :D
That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
deadrx7conv said:
Most transmission shops will opt for the complete rebuild for almost any AT issue(why most say its rebuild time) because it isn't worth doing a temporary/partial fix and have the customer come back some time later with other issues.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stealthmode20 said:
chuckster I'll buy yopur car 500 cash
:D

I love her too much to part with her... She will see 300,000 miles before I let her slip away...

Besides.. She is RARE

1993 GLE Black with Titanium Interior
ABS 4 Wheel Disk Brakes
Limited Slip Differential
Heads Up Display

Have not seen another like it..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts