The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a stupid question. For those Altima drivers' with an automatic transmission. Do you drive your car in 3rd gear then shift to the D (drive gear) when you go over 65. I read the owners manual and got confused. I got to stop smoking chron and reading the manual.
thanks

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Third turns off over drive, so you stay in third gear instead of going to fourth, which is your over drive gear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first took my car for a test drive. The saleman told me drive the car this way. Criuise around in third gear then shift into drive when you hit 65. I have been driving the car this way since November. Just today I happend to take a look at the manual.
thanks for the response

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
You salesman is a dick!

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
USE THE FREAKING GEARS

use them all, 1,2,3, and D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is nothing wrong with doing this. Anticipate the traffic.

this does not mean every time you drive you shift, otherwise why did you spend the money on an auto tranny. This only means, anticipate traffic, drop a gear or two lower than what you are in so you can have extra torque instantly. this works great when changing lanes or in the twisties. (also works great to spin the wheels at 30-50 mph if you aren't careful). saves you

yes this will reduce the life of your tranny, but most of us won't see the difference unless we keep the car more than 100,000 miles

i do it several times a day when i drive the car, i have 36k miles on it, have done a tranny fluid change with only a couple of flakes on the magnet. (actually much less wear products than i have ever seen on a new car.) also my fluid was jsut beginning to turn from red to pink

·
Shift_???
136 Posts
Drive it the way you want...it's you choice..hehe, don't need a salesman to tell you how to drive your car. But if you drive mostly in 3rd, instead of 4th, you will see a difference in fuel mileage...don't think it will be that much, but you will..!! :)

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
That is bogus, I've never heard of staying in 3rd gear the whole time with an auto. You put the car in drive and leave it there. I've only used 3rd gear once for going up some snowy streets. As for drag racing, I could see the advantage of going 1-2-3 with the auto.. ;)

·
ex-nissan owner
1,519 Posts
I use 3rd when I am going like 60 or 70 on I95 and need to pass someone with the quickness.. slam it into 3rd and the car kicks like a rocket.. and then put it back into D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts