The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the airport in my town (little podunk place) 100 octane av gas is 1.95 while 92 octane super hit 2.01/gal

guess my baby is gonna have a tank full of 100 octane this afternoon.:D :D :D :D

this is gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wish i could dyno the car this week

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can you put AV fuel in a car???????

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Headlines tomorrow:

Local man flew off runway in a Nissan Altima
Avaition fuel shortage after man discover gas also works in car.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
One of the things that you may have to worry about if you put av-gas in your car is all of your various rubber and plastic pieces in the fuel system being damaged.
The different additives may wreak havok on your your whole fuel system.
About 20 years ago I had heard of guys putting av-gas in their cars and it proceded to shrink all the gaskets in their carbs so they began to leak like crazy.
Not good in a low pressure carb system, downright dangerous in a high pressure FI system.

Then again it all could have been a bunch of wives tales like crop circles and the boogie man. :D

·
Willow Springs, Turn 4
1,034 Posts
I have run 100 octane at the track three times and it does make a difference! This was racing un-leaded.

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
lol so long as you mean prop fuel as opposed to jet fuel, which is the consistency of kerosene.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I realize that this is a link to a corvette page, but it is a good write up on gasoline and AV Gas. IMO, you should not use AV gas in cars,

1. LL100 is leaded and can hose up O2 sensors.
2. It is blended for high altitude.
3. When buying AV gas you don't pay highway taxes thus it would be illegal. (not that that always matters)
4. It can cause hard starting issues.
For more check out this site

http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/page2.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks

I thought about running a quart through my lawnmower though. There are a lot of detergents and it has a shelf life of about ten years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a Pilot and a car enthusiast, I can say this is a HUGELY bad idea. Typical Piston Avgas is 100LL, meaning 100 octane, Low Lead. This means there is lead in the fuel!! Try a tankful of this stuff and see what happens to your filter, cat and injectors (among other parts). I'm surprised Avgas is that cheap where you are. 100LL here is about $2.90/gal with Jet A a little cheaper. You can actually use Jet A in Diesel engines in a fix. Burns just fine. Diamond Aircraft actually makes a Diesel Piston Twin that can run on either pump diesel or Jet A. Neat stuff. Yeah, but definitely do not put the 100LL in your Alty. You'll end up with an expensive repair bill and a voided warranty - no fun.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
not to mention AvGas is for low-compression, high-altitude, constant-throttle applications. NOT for our stop and go cars, low altitudes, and not so low compression! i remember reading an article on dirt bikes and how some people used AvGas in their bikes...well, what happened was EXTREME loss of power after a short while, and not to mention severe detonation. true, this was on a 2 cycle, high compression, high RPM engine, but the same theory applies...youll screw your engine up royally!

so its a good idea to be good to your baby and put the fuel that it was designed to run on in the tank...
just my advice.

Monki

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
most jet fule is a refined deisel fuel, not a good combo for you car if i say so, there is a reason that stuff is only at the airport and not at the gas station where cars go to get gas

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah

i got there and saw it was low lead not unleaded, it was a good idea at the time........oh well

but the fact that is a consideration is pitiful

i need my headers and racepipe so i don't have to worry about the cats, then i MAY try it with some more research

·
Registered
774 Posts
There are other problems with aviation fuel (I didn't read that article link). Aviation fuel is a different density that automotive fuel and is not intended for cars (obviously). Therefore the octane rating of 100LL is not an automotive 100 octane.

This was discussed extensively on the Supra forum and some aviation guys explained all the different fuels and why you shouldn't run them in cars.

·
Yeah, I've got em
241 Posts
greensoup2 said:
There are other problems with aviation fuel (I didn't read that article link). Aviation fuel is a different density that automotive fuel and is not intended for cars (obviously). Therefore the octane rating of 100LL is not an automotive 100 octane.

This was discussed extensively on the Supra forum and some aviation guys explained all the different fuels and why you shouldn't run them in cars.

Yes, aviation fuel is less dense. So, if you run it in a car, this means you need to richen the mixture to use it (longer injector duty cycle) to avoid running the car lean. Also, the Lead in the common 100LL variety will muck up yout cats and O2 sensors over time (one tank won't hurt if u wanna try).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts