The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me/my mechanic installed it today...once i was down he closed so i couldnt go back...

when in neutral, there is no holding it there, it with ease pulls to the left, no rubbery feeling like the stock did...to the right, the rubbery feel is still there...this causes me to miss the shift gate into 4th gear at times...it is a little bit harder to push it in gears, but that is expected as the pivot point is higher i guess...slight vibration, but i'll look into that tomorrow...what do you guys say about that free feeling when in neutral towards the left???

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
If the shifter wont stay in neutral he forgot to reconnect the spring. Hopefully it is still hanging off or somewere in his shop.
YOu will especially notice when you pull to the left since you are then stretching the spring out when it is attached.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
when i pull my B&M to the left its like there is no spring there also, but to the right i have to push to get to where i can go to 5th/reverse, just like stock. and the spring is attatched, i never took it off to install the B&M.

like i said lil_Z, everything sounds normal, but if you wanna check tightness and all that, go ahead. i havent had any problems whatsoever except for the missing 4th part, but like i said it is only when im not really paying attention and pull the shifter a little towards 2nd (in other words, i dont pull straight back like a dumbass! LOL) everything is closer together so basically there is less margin for error...just drive it a while and get used to it thats all i say :)

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Well 5th and reverse will always be harder than first and second but ther should be some tension there... :-/ crawl under and double check to be sure.

As said it will take a few days to get used to the new motions also.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
goin to the mechanic soon...drove home in bumper to bumper traffic today and im gettin used to it...but i dont like how its very loose in neutral...and im not a big fan of the hard shifts either, feels like im grinding...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wait a minute...waaaiiiiit a minute!

Sorry to threadjack here, but, lil, you got a 2nd gen with a B&M shifter? I thought the B&M's didn't fit 2nd gen, for whatever reason. Only good for 93-97 Altima?

Call me a noob if you will, but I haven't seen any threads on this board, or elsewhere, to the contrary.

·
DIY'er
6,658 Posts
Funny how the OBX short shifter is the only half decent product in reference to all of the other parts that they make for our cars..

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
lil_z_33 said:
soc_monki has one installed on his 98 as well...like GReddy, B&M fails to list it for the 2gens...
and the B&M instructions say you may need to file or drill the holes out to mount the housing...no drilling/filing needed on my 99! and some people with 1st gens had to i hear...so weird, i say. no problems out of mine, little vibration, and it takes some getting used to shifting with it, but its all good now. oh and i think the reason for it being easier to move around in neutral is because of the longer part under the car and the heavier shift knob...just a guess. more leverage = easier to move?

i like it though, makes it much easier and quicker to shift the car...did a practice launch tonight (might be racing a 97 Prelude friday night, just for fun, so i gotta be on my game!) and started at 2500 and let the clutch out a little too fast (never really launched with the ACT!) and got wheelspin, but not too much...quick shift to second and a little traction loss, went to 3rd and some CDs were blocking the way :( note to self...take out CDs when you go to race LOL dont wanna miss 3rd because of em!

Love my B&M, love it!!!

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think mine will be fine once adjusted...the mechanic test drove the car and he said he'll adjust it...i trust he knows what he's talking about so, i'll leave it at that and go in on saturday...

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
soc_monki said:
and the B&M instructions say you may need to file or drill the holes out to mount the housing...
I had to drill out the holes actually...

I'm getting used to the shifter and liking it quite a bit more than a couple weeks ago...I never miss-shift third anymore and the pain in the ass with 1st and reverse isn't bothering me as much as it was...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts