Nissan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue with their backup camera? Mine does this sporadically and never in front of the dealer smh. It goes to black and with picture and the guidelines are positioned high on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. It does it once every couple of months. I will when it happens again.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,459 Posts
These cars still use analog video. What you are seeing is a v-lock problem (vertical sync) and the black bar you are seeing is normally hidden because it is above the start of the 'picture'. Somehow your HU is incorrectly locking on the supplied video from the camera...how is the video quality? grainy or clear? Does it ever happen in bright sunlight areas...or only in shaded or evening times?

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These cars still use analog video. What you are seeing is a v-lock problem (vertical sync) and the black bar you are seeing is normally hidden because it is above the start of the 'picture'. Somehow your HU is incorrectly locking on the supplied video from the camera...how is the video quality? grainy or clear? Does it ever happen in bright sunlight areas...or only in shaded or evening times?

Sometimes is clear but in black and white. Sometimes it’s distorted. It has happened mostly shaded areas like coming out of the garage. The picture above happened as I was backing into a vacuum bay at the car wash.

·
5,459 Posts
Analog video signals are something I'm quite familiar with. It's not something you can debug with a voltmeter however. What you are describing sounds like either a bad decoupling capacitor in the video path (most likely new camera module or HU needed) or bad connection(s) in one or more of power, ground, or video...including the special shield ground used on the video signal which would be my hope (cheapest to fix).

My first suggestion would be to replace/swap the camera module, ideally with a used one from the junkyard/ebay, just to see if it makes a difference, since I would find it exceedingly strange to have bad connections at the harness connectors on the back of the radio unit.

If you want to try something before you buy something, then dismantle the trunk lid interior and visually check out the camera wiring harness for rubbing wear anywhere from the camera to where it joins the main harness near the rear shock tower inside the trunk area. Also check the camera/harness connector pins for corrosion and the module itself for any signs of cracking in the casing or the potting epoxy that would let moisture into the sensitive electronics inside.

·
5,459 Posts
Oh, and if it happens mostly or always in the shaded areas...that's because the video waveform has less overall amplitude and thus is much more sensitive to noise (caused by poor grounds or whatever). A good indication that the camera or wiring is damaged.

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your input you seem very knowledgeable. I still have an extended warranty that would cover the repair but my dealer won’t act on it unless the witnesses it real-time. Any idea why it happens so few and far in between?

·
5,459 Posts
Any correlation with wet weather or trunk slamming?

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any correlation with wet weather or trunk slamming?

Hasn’t ever happened while wet. Maybe trunk slamming. Great thought. But what if it is trunk?

·
5,459 Posts
If trunk related, then check the harness (there is a connector to the camera located behind the trunk lid insulation...and check the wiring for signs of chafing... Wiggle the wires and see if you can make 'bad stuff' happen to the camera picture up front. If you cannot find a wiring related issue, then the next most obvious thing is the camera itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. My 2014 Pathfinder’s back up camera does the same. The odd thing is that it does it maybe several weeks apart for about half a day and then it works fine. It lasted for almost 2 days before working correctly again last week, so I’m bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow with a video recording of the malfunction.

·
5,459 Posts
FWIW...my non-Nissan just lost its backup camera...water ingress, corroded the cct board...intermittent, then pfaff!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
d0ugmac1
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing