The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just curious if anyone has experienced bad gas mileage after installing a transcooler in their altima. I have an 08 altima and I've recently installed a transcooler to help with the whining and slipping. I've noticed a big decrease in gas mileage after installing it. It used to take a quarter of a tank for a round trip for work. Now it takes a quarter for one way trip to work since installing the transcooler. Everything has been constant (same gas station, fuel grade, round trip mileage, low A/C usage everyday). FYI, I installed the return line from the radiator to the transcooler and then to the transmission. Any inputs or suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
From your description, it seems like the CVT is slipping more since the transcooler install. I hate to say that but it sounds like the whining/slipping you're getting indicates the CVT is on it's way to heaven. It's also possible that during the install, a harness connector accidentally got disconnected. Double check the engine/ground connectors to make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two thoughts: The CVT fluid needs to get to 80C for normal operation. Did you install a thermostatic valve in the fluid line? That valve will let the CVT fluid get to temp before sending it to the cooler. You may be keeping the fluid too cool! The Derale 13011 is a popular choice.

Fluid too cool should not be enough by itself to cut gas mileage in half!

I agree with amc49, the whining sound is an indication of big problems. A cooler is a good idea in general; just curious why you decided to install one now? Did you see high temperatures? I am using ScanGuage II to monitor my 2012 Maxima CVT and 2015 Murano CVT temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts