The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I turn off the A/C and put it on fan mode I get this nasty smell blowing from the vents. Kinda like moldy/mildew smelling odor.

How can I get rid of it and where does it come from? What do I need to clean and how do I get to it?

- ninety4

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Mine does it too, but i always thought it was because i smoke in the car. Im guessing it has something to do with the condensor thawing out, and it produces a musty smell.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
your car farted....

seriously.. it could be a bad blower motor, it could be condensation in the vents that isn't airing out thus mildew...

I was told by the dealer to prevent the second, is to select the button in the AC that takes air from outside, so any air in the system goes out, thus preventing the buildup..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
When I had my Jimmy the same thing happened and it was a some sort of AC filter was crushed/not working. It most likely is trapped water some how. Check with some of the guys that have the Chiltons or maintance manual and see if Alti's have a AC water catcher or a filter of some sort.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't forget if you have an IN-CABIN AIR FILTER, that could be the culprit.

JB

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Mildew in the condensor.

What you are smelling is the mildew on the condensor (under the dash). It is caused by water being left on the condensor and allowing mildew to grow.

How to fix it: Open all the doors and windows in your car. Put the fan on 3 and recirculate with the vents on. feel around in the footwell for the vent that is sucking air in. Spray a can of Lysol (pick a scent you like) into the vent that is sucking. Spray the whole can in then shut the fan off. Leave the doors and windows open to let the car air out. You may need to wipe some residue off the vents or the dash if you sprayed it in too fast. Don't use the fan or the AC for at least 4 hours. That should kill any mildew you have in there and stop the smell.

How to prevent it: Every time you use the AC. When you are going to stop the car. Turn the AC off and put the fan on high with outside air until it comes through the same temp as outside. If you can remember to do this everytime it will keep the condensor dry and prevent the growth of mold. It only takes a second or two.

That's it.

Randy

Maybe someone should FAQ this?

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are sprays and cleaners you can buy. I know some of them you just turn the fan on all the way, have your windows rolled down, and then spray the cleaner through the outside vents( the ones by the wipers) it will clean out the mildew. If you want to go the cheap way, I saw on Motor Trend or Auto Week ( one of those shows on Speed Vision) that you can also use Lysol Spray. They should have the cleaners at any auto parts store. Peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts