The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy some bass blockers on crutchfield.com and not mess with making my own....but i wanted to try one more thing; i have some questions: 1.) Are bass blockers AC or DC? 2.) What voltage are bass blockers rated at? 3.)Are any of the capacitors at radio shack cna be turned into a bass blocker?.....i saw they have the capcacitors that are only like $1 each. all of the bass blockers/capcacitors i am looking for have a 150hz cutoff for my '5x7s' and "6 1/2s". Any info wouldbe appreciated

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
1. Since any audio signal is AC, the bassblockers will not function if they were DC.
2. Depends. You should read the specification of the bass blockers you buy.
3. Yes, any bipolar capacitors that can handle the power rating of your amp output would work.
For a 4 ohm speaker, you'll need aproximately 265micro Farad cap and 132 micro Farad for a 8 ohm speaker. It's basically a first order crossover.

·
Registered
127 Posts
THOSE THINGS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY DONT EVEN BOTHER JUST TURN THE BASS DOWN ON YOUR DECK!

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
nyaltima99 said:
THOSE THINGS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY DONT EVEN BOTHER JUST TURN THE BASS DOWN ON YOUR DECK!
:rolleyes:
They are very useful to avoid lower frequencies going to select drivers, turning down the bass on the HU only results in E.Q.ing the entire spectrum.

Oh, and also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bass Blockers simplified: bipolar capacitors. you can buy them at RadioSnack, Fry's Electronics, or other electronic stores that carry individual components.

size them yourself. here's the equation(use a calculator):

C= 1/(6.28 * f * X)

C -Value of capacitor in farads
f -the frequency you want the lows to be cut off at(100hz, 200hz, etc.)
X -the impedance(in ohms) of the speaker it will be connected to

it's ok if you can't find the EXACT size you need. just use the nearest standard size. for slightly lower freq go to the next larger size, for slightly higher freq go to the next smaller size.

there is a similar formula for sizing choke coils to cut highs

moving the decimal:
3 places = milli
6 places = micro(symbol looks like the letter u with an extra tail on the left side)
9 places = nano
12 places = pico

i knew i took 4 semesters of AC & DC theory for a reason, to size caps & coils.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Your speakers could probably go plenty lower than 150hz. Try around 100hz it might sound better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts