The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Got HP?!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those people that love bass...I know, I know, some of you find it annoying, and I apologize...but for the ones that do like it, I have a question. I have 3 10" subs in the trunk. I have applied dynamat pretty to all the accessible areas in the trunk (it actually doesn't look that bad...I need to invest in a digital camera.), but I'm still getting horrible vibration in the rear dash (whatever you call it). Without removing the rear speakers and that Bose amp that is mounted under it to lay some more matting down, I have no idea how to stop this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
supposedly there are little plastic posts attached to the back of the rear dash peice. (the whole piece with the grills.) They could be one of the things rattling. It will be a pain in the ass to get off though. Trust me I know I've trying to get it off for the past hour to put in new 6x9's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It's either the license plate bracket / license plate....

or it's the plastic dash pieces that are under the back dash carpeted board. Royco posted this in another thread...

I was assuming you will replace the rear speaker with a better one right? (replaced mine with JBLs) it will introduce rattle and you can minimize this. Turn over your back (carpeted package tray/dash) cover and you'll notice plastic posts that have their tips covered but there are like 4 more that arent, u have to pad it with something to cushion it(i taped over some foam). Also check your seatbelt rollers, the one on the left on my car is off the center and touches the metal plate during loud volumes so i have to center in and put some padding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem in my 2k maxima and I put a good size drop of silicone on each plastic snap in clip. Put some on the clip and then attached it to the rear cover and then put a drop on each hole and it stopped all rattles from the rear deck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not the clips, trust me. The entire sheet metal surface vibrates, and the plastic surface is like one big passive (or not so passive) radiator. The best thing to do is to replace the plastic deck with carpet covered 3/4" MDF screwed down from underneath. But it would be a pain to make and to fit right. I haven't taken the time to do it yet myself. One prob is that it can't be completely flat if it's to match the contour of the side panels it mates with.

If you have sub-woofers in the trunk, in order to isolate the 6x9's from the bass, you should really build an enclosure around the back of the 6x9's. I've been thinking about doing this - think of a topless box (insert joke here) with weather stripping around the top edge. I'm thinking *maybe* you could use anchor bolts - the kind you use to attach things to a sheet-rocked house wall - to attach the enclosure to the underside of the metal deck. Cranked up, it should sealup tight and the added weight and rigidity should dampen much of the metal vibrations.

So you lose 6" or so of truck space/clearance.

just a crazy idea - any takers? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.