The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV with 27,000 miles on it. My problem started when I tried to put MIST on my windshield and it didn't work, so I thought it might be a fuse or something. I pulled couple of them out to make sure they're good. After that I went inside the car, I started the car and I noticed that the Battery and Brake light turned on. I turned off the engine and did it again, the lights are on. I went to my friends shop and he checked for fuses, he even hooked up his computer to my car to see if there are any warnings. Nothing came on, so he reset the warning lights with his computer but when he turned the engine on, the lights are still on. He checked the battery with multitester and it showed 15.4 while idling. He also disconnected negative from the battery to see if the alternator was charging the battery. Did anyone here had the same problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd guess it's the alternator because of the idiot lights and idling at 15.4 volts (should be no higher than 14-14.5 volts). Seems early though at only 27k miles. This should be covered by the 3 year/36k mile warranty. Let us know what you find out.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Your manual explicitly states you should never run the car without the battery connected.

Oh, and if your car hits 15V+...your charging is working too well...its just not shutting off charging when it should.

I agree with above...seems to be a common failure with the Hitachi regulator pack in our cars' alternators.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
I am an idiot. When I was checking fuses yesterday. I pulled one out from alternator and I put it in wrong slot. Lol. All the lights are off. :grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I third that statement. Even with everything on and a very dead battery your regulator on the alternator should never put out that many volts. You are going to destroy your battery like that. If you start smelling acid DO NOT open the hood. Shut it off and turn on some lights to draw off some current.

Source on 15v being an issue

"If the voltage ever goes above 15 volts, there is a problem with the voltage regulator. Have the system checked as soon as possible as this "overcharging" condition can cause damage to your electrical system."
http://www.carparts.com/classroom/charging.htm

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
If you disconnect the sense feed to the alternator it cannot charge. Make sure that fuse is okay.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well did you find out why the window mist motor wasn't getting fluid to the windshield?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The thing everyone seems to be missing here is the brake and battery light came on AFTER he played with the fuses.

Seems logical to me that the fuses might not have made it back to their original position before removal.

I'm not going into the findings of his "mechanic" other than he might want to look for a different line of work.

Oops ...

I missed the post where he found the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts