The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok stupid question, but i dont want to get zapped!

If i need to disconnect the battery from the car so i can install a new radio, what should i do exactly? Do need to take off the postive one instead of the negative or vise versa? Any special tools? or better yet any special DO NOT DO's?

thanks

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
If I am just removing one cable, I will remove the one from the negative terminal. I am not sure why, but I just do.

You won't get "zapped" because there is just not the juice in a battery to do it. However, it is entirely possible for a battery to explode at the time of contact of the cable to the terminal when you reattach it, sending acid and plastic shrapnel into your face (happened to a buddy of mine). I do not lean over the battery and turn my face away when I reconnect the power. However, the exploding batteries are rare, I am just paranoid after seeing what they can do to a person's face.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
Almost forgot--as for tools, I just always use a standard open-end wrench to take them off, and a cheap wire brush to clean, if needed.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
When disconnecting a battery you must always be naked..in a well ventilated area with rubber sole shoes on.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
wild willy said:
When disconnecting a battery you must always be naked..in a well ventilated area with rubber sole shoes on.
I knew I was forgetting something. Also, don't forget to put on a condom, as that is one area you want to make sure is insulated well.:D

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
We always manage to make a serious thread go funny..That is why i love it here

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
wild willy said:
hey if you have shoes on, ya aint naked!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts