The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Altima and I am thinking of getting one Kicker L5 15" sub with an AUDIOBAHN A8000T to push it. What do you all think? I have always been satisfied with both kicker an audiobahn in the past, but I am up to other suggestions. I am looking for something that will hit real hard and low and that doesn't require to big of a box.

·
Audi Driver
1,864 Posts
how big do you tink is too big? i wouldnt recommend an L5 or an audiobahn amp, never heard a good setup with either of them. if you want something that hits hard and goes low and SOUNDS GOOD unlike the L5, get a RE audio SX 15" or 12". it will beat the hell out of the L5 in every aspect possible. i believe the box size for the 15 is 1.6cf sealed, 4cf ported. its smaller for the 12", maybe like 2.5cf ported

·
Registered
353 Posts
get 2 12"s!! If you want a SQL set up I would go with 2 12" apline type R's and a hifonics bx1000d. The RE SX 15" is also very very nice. Ardire shivas are also very very nice for a good price. Any of those choices are gunna set you back about $250 bones.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
i want to do 2 18" SXs in a 12 cube shared box, slot ported and tuned to 45hz. mmmm.....slap a Tsunami dB1100.1 on each, and have some fun.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
1,874 Posts
Well, I had a 9 cu ft box in my trunk. Just plasma cut the metal when you fold the seats down to be able to have the sub(s) directly behind the seat and then just remove the spare tire and use fiberglass there. ****, that area where the spare tire is has got to be at least good for 2 cu ft. ;)

Anyway, back to the topic.....

First, how much space are you wanting to take up?
How much money are you wanting to use?
What kinda power are you wanting to throw at the sub(s)?

I would definitely consider getting some RE sub(s). ;)
Kicker L7's are great too just suck in SQ. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about the Alpine's(would 1 12" alpine and a kicker KX400.1 or Rockford 301S sound good together?) ...It seems that everyone has good things to say about Alpine. I have never had an Alpine speaker but I have used there decks in the past and they all worked great. Thanks for the info.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
do you want a 12" or a 15"? an Alpine Type R would be the only sub of theirs I would buy, good stuff but it doesnt handle a whole lot of power.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do not think bigger is better when it comes to subs, mabe if you are just looking for very deep base and all you listen to his rap and base tracks. I think the perfect size is a ten inch sub. The 15's will be sloppy and slow I do not think they are ideal for accurate sounding base!
Yea they look cool since they are big but i think that after a short amount of time you will be changing that 15 out for something smaller.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
100% UNTRUE! a 15" can be just as clean as an 8" sub. dont believe me, go listen to an XXX or Brahma 15, or hell, an 18! It all depends on the box and sub setup. Large sized subs dont mean inaccuracy anymore.

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
1,874 Posts
yeah, some of the best sounding subs are 15's and 18's. ie Brahma, XXX, Eclipse's TI and TI-Pro subs, etc. JL's W7 subs are great too just too pricey. :)
It really depends on what you are looking for. SQL, definitley XXX in a 4-5 cu ft sealed box for a 15" or 18". You could go with a single 10" or 12" XXX in a 30-4 cu ft box sealed and it would WANG. People wouldn't believe you only had a single sub. Now, imagine if it was ported. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have to have a 15, but I had a 15" kicker comp with a rockford punch 250 pushing it and it sounded REAL GOOD!!! That is why I am thinking about getting a 15. I had a pair of Rockford 12's a while ago and they didn't sound as good as the 15" with the same amp pushing them. But I am looking for good sound(not trying to break my windows) an inexpensive. Somewhere around $300 for the amp and the speaker, I can build the box and wire it so that is not part of the $300.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've never used anything larger than a 12 so I don't have experience with any 15's, but I do know that the Tempest was a very popular choice for a while (I don't know if it is truely a good sub or if eveyone was just jumping on the bandwagon). Adire Audio makes it (www.adireaudio.com). May be worth looking into, its only $150.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
15 sloppy and slow.... gimme a break.

That is my #1 pet peeve...... challenge me i dare you. Physics proves you can not be correct unless the subwoofer was designed by an 8 year old.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts