The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanting to know what everyone thinks is the 2nd Gen exhaust headers on back.....all your help is very greatfully accepted

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
i say no cat with a resonator...2.25 piping all the way to the back with an aerospeed N1 style muffer or the SWA muffler that they have for 99.99....you have a really nice setup performance wise and save some $$ by going custom

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you get a header, make sure you've got mandrel tubing or it's going to sound like crap...

Personally, I'm going with HotShot 4-2-1 Header, stock cat, and GReddy cat-back on my 2001 GXE. I'm waiting for the gaskets to come before installing the header...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i was already considering the hotshot header....so that gets me to the cat.....what about the cat-back setup??? does the GReddy bolt right on???

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
If you're one of the lucky ones, the Greddy will be a direct fit.

·
There is no substitute.
2,032 Posts
steves said:

Personally, I'm going with HotShot 4-2-1 Header, stock cat, and GReddy cat-back on my 2001 GXE. I'm waiting for the gaskets to come before installing the header...
doesnt the header come with the gaskets for the install?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The instructions said it doesn't come with gaskets, despite being pacakged with things that look, for all intensive purposes, like the very gaskets that are purported to be missing.

I'll just wait for the Nissan gaskets to come in, see if I actually need them, and return them if I don't. Being a Nissan dealership, they said returns aren't an issue because someone else will eventually need the parts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how often do the Greddy's need to be modified??? and generally what Modifications are needed???

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
The 4-2-1 is a nice header. I just got it installed yesterday. I have a done alot of research about mufflers and found that one of the best ways without spending alot of money(like on a greddy) is to get a muffler shop to do a custom mandrel bent piping with resonator and the Magnaflow 14829. I just placed an order for the muffler about 5 mins ago

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to do that....but unfortunately there arent any shops around me with a Mandrel bender....not even my trusty tuning shop has one(whats up with that???) and if i were to do it, i would leave out the resonator....make more of straight through design....didnt meantion i bought the HS header, and a hi-flow(custom with no backflow) cat....now all i need is the cat back and im ready for a day of installation....

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
From what I have been researching on this site, the resonator wont restrict anything(I could be wrong) but it will tone it down. From what alienalt told me, he thinks that the cat is what was causing the rattling noise on his car.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
BrandonMW said:
how often do the Greddy's need to be modified??? and generally what Modifications are needed???
Either the piping to the cat is too short or too long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EUREKA!!! i was searching the yellow pages and found a place in a town about 15 minutes away that does custom work....got an appt tomorrow at 1 to get a quote. i think im gonna get a magnaflow muffler

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
BrandonMW said:
EUREKA!!! i was searching the yellow pages and found a place in a town about 15 minutes away that does custom work....got an appt tomorrow at 1 to get a quote. i think im gonna get a magnaflow muffler
I wanted to buy my magnaflow through alienalt b/c he helped me out alot yesterday but I went on his website and didnt see any mufflers except the greddy cat back. So I just ordered it through www.southwestautoworks.com. They have a special for $129 and with shipping it came out to like $144.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i know where i can get a 14829 for about $70...gotta love it when family owns a shop huh

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
BrandonMW said:
Seeing is believing. Trust me when I say this. when I was searching for a place that did mandrel bending, a lot place of places said they did, but in actuality didn't. A lot of the places I hit up really believed that as long as you don't have ripples in the bend, that was mandrel bending. :bullshit:

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
alot of people swear by brullen. if i were to get another muffler, it would have to be either brullen or the greddy catback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts