The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install a backup camera with my new deck.

Not sure which camera to buy as I would like some feedback on where is the best place to mount it. Also best method?

I don't have a cut out as I have the base model. Plus I do not want a license plate camera.

I think my options would be on the trunk lip, the chrome part. What material is that? Would it be easy to cut a piece or drill holes for screws? How about sticking the camera on it with adhesive?

Thanks

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Looking to install a backup camera with my new deck.

Not sure which camera to buy as I would like some feedback on where is the best place to mount it. Also best method?

I don't have a cut out as I have the base model. Plus I do not want a license plate camera.

I think my options would be on the trunk lip, the chrome part. What material is that? Would it be easy to cut a piece or drill holes for screws? How about sticking the camera on it with adhesive?

Thanks
I wouldn't try the adhesive, you need a fastener of some kind. I would make a bracket if you don't want to use a license plate frame mount. Also, search on backup camera mount in Google and see what pops up. Even if you don't like any of them it may give you an idea about how to make your own design. Look around for screws you can reuse rather than drilling a new hole.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I mounted my camera in my 2010 under the chrome trunk finisher. It is just plastic with chrome paint. The camera I purchased came with the correct drill bit to do this.

Word of advice; purchase a camera that allows you to adjust the angle. The design of my camera (sad, considering such high craftsmanship) angles it too far down to be of much use other than the final two feet of backing up.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Word of advice; purchase a camera that allows you to adjust the angle. The design of my camera (sad, considering such high craftsmanship) angles it too far down to be of much use other than the final two feet of backing up.
LOL my installation has 'similar' issues. I have a second (spare) camera that is wider angle but poorer low light sensitivity I'm thinking of trying, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to dremel some of those nylon plumbing wedges (for leveling toilets) which should give me about the right 'up angle'. I figure one inside the finisher and one between the camera and finisher should give me a rock solid mounting.

That said, at the moment I can get the rear bumper to within 0.496 +/- .001" of walls without hitting anything right now :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts