The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WheeEEEEEeeEEeEe!!!!!!!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB109986994931767086,00.html?mod=yahoo_hs

And what the hell is this:
It began enforcing a restocking fee of 15% of the purchase price on returned merchandise. To discourage customers who return items with the intention of repurchasing them at an "open-box" discount, it is experimenting with reselling them over the Internet, so the goods don't reappear in the store where they were originally purchased.
It almost seems like they're trying to pass off used items as new here.

Looks like I'll be shopping at Circuit City again...

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
I don't really blame them. I work at a Fry's Electronics and see a ton of people try to do that everyday. I don't think they really trying to resell the goods as new, just discouraging the buy and return tactics. Seems like a good enough idea to me.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
they will be reselling the used/returned items as open boxes, just online, to discourage "devil" customers as nexus said.

lol, at the last best buy i worked at, this guy came in every tuesday to buy dvds. well this gentlemen worked at frys, so he would bring in his frys ad. say our movie was 17.99, and frys was 16.99, well he would purchase ours for our price, walk out the store, walk back in, go to customer service, and do the "price match + 10% off deal" it was the funniest thing, everyweek, same thing, just to save a buck, and it was always on one, maybe two items, not totaling more than $30. he must have wasted so much gas just to make the trip to my store, when he could have easily bought it at his own job and saved some time

·
Vroom Vroom Bish
181 Posts
they just started realizing this? When I worked at best buy 6-7 years ago (damn thats a long time :( ) we saw this all the time! Heck some employees did it too for stuff we couldn't get much discount on! About time they realized they should do something about it :lol:

·
Searching within
1,615 Posts
All retail store are loosing tons of money due to people that do this kind of stuff. I work in retail and I can't stand people returning stuff they wore becuase it was "too big, too small, or didn't fit right". In reality the bastards wore the merchandise for one occassion and wanted their money back. Worst is when they know the return policy on worn merchandise and act as if it was their first time shopping in the store.....

Bout time Best Buy.....just wondering when more stores will start something to fight back.....

·
14,455 Posts
weed101160 said:
tlol, at the last best buy i worked at, this guy came in every tuesday to buy dvds. well this gentlemen worked at frys, so he would bring in his frys ad. say our movie was 17.99, and frys was 16.99, well he would purchase ours for our price, walk out the store, walk back in, go to customer service, and do the "price match + 10% off deal" it was the funniest thing, everyweek, same thing, just to save a buck, and it was always on one, maybe two items, not totaling more than $30. he must have wasted so much gas just to make the trip to my store, when he could have easily bought it at his own job and saved some time
:lol: :lol: nice...

I worked at Compusa for a summer and it was the same crap there.

·
the neighbor of the beast
630 Posts
burdines wont take stuff back if the tags are gone and its been washed. its not always my fault if something doesnt look right after the first wash. a little snip of a seam makes it "defective merchandise" ...even if i wash n wear it 17 times first. now that's evil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Retail customers make me sick! They'll do anything to save a buck. We have had people demand to return telephones (not cell phones) that are 2 years old. They say the product was never used and didn't work. How come it looks like it has been used in a preschool with dirty little hands for 10 years? It is always followed by, "I just bought this 2 weeks ago....." Good thing we have record of receipts and purchase dates....dumbasses.

·
DirtyGirls4Life
5,241 Posts
We have a restocking fee @ CircuitCity on select items so people wont buy them for a trip and then come back the next week and return it after they are done using it........it's happened before and im sure will happen again!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had a friend who bought some stereo system from Best Buy, then after a couple of years he wanted to ditch it and get a new one. So he opened it up, broke some parts and took it back to Best Buy. They fixed it. He kept doing that for like 3 times and they gave him a full refund. Now, i do not blame them for restocking fee. That's a very good decision. At least they'll get some money out of ppl like my friend here.

·
DirtyGirls4Life
5,241 Posts
/\ ur friend must have bought some sorta of extended warranty through them bc i HIGHLY doubt if he didnt, they wouldnt have done anything for him. Like @ CC if u dont buy the "city advantage plan" after 14 days(3o during the holiday season) we really cant do anything for you, and then we'll have to go through the manufacturer of whatever it is.........and probably end up spending $$ to get it fixed......

·
Banned
186 Posts
If you buy a PSP from Best Buy (which they always bug you about) you can return whatever you bought and get 100% store credit. The cashiers are supposed to ask you 3 times about the damn things. I just bought a PS2 from BB and my friends, who also works at BB, told me I should have got the PSP. At the end of the 2 year PSP, break the thing, take it in and youve got $150 in store credit.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Man **** these greedy ass retail stores! I've worked in retail before, and I know for a fact that they're blowing this shit out of proportion. They're not loosing all this money, they're not just getting as much as they can out of the consumer! It's plain and simple that they mark up their merchandise way over what they paid to turn an extreme profit. Take circuit City for example I got some car audio equipment from them some time ago and paid like $180 for a pair of inifinity 6x9's. I also have a friend who works there and took me to a site that shows how much the store gets them at! $45 ****ing dollars, so I basically paid 4 times the amount the store purchased them for. Hahahaha yeah the retailers are the victims here :confused2

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I AGREE 100%

i used to work at staples and there would be assholes who come in and buy printers and fax machines and then they would return it after using it. basically using something for free. i wish i couldve charged those assholes 15% fee.

people take advantage of these services so stores have to adapt

·
DirtyGirls4Life
5,241 Posts
SIR NUPE A LOT said:
Take circuit City for example I got some car audio equipment from them some time ago and paid like $180 for a pair of inifinity 6x9's. I also have a friend who works there and took me to a site that shows how much the store gets them at! $45 ****ing dollars, so I basically paid 4 times the amount the store purchased them for. Hahahaha yeah the retailers are the victims here :confused2
thats basically wholesale cost. So basically you're saying that EVERY retail store is bad since they make up their stuf. EVERYONE does it so get over it. Plus that price is accomidations, you have to work there to get the discount. plus its only on a limited amount of items and not EVERYTHING in the store, if u bought sony speakers they'd cost the same as if u worked there..........get over it!

so you're saying if you owned your own buisness you wouldnt mark anything up you sell :confused2 :angel1:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
DrgnBdy said:
thats basically wholesale cost. So basically you're saying that EVERY retail store is bad since they make up their stuf. EVERYONE does it so get over it. Plus that price is accomidations, you have to work there to get the discount. plus its only on a limited amount of items and not EVERYTHING in the store, if u bought sony speakers they'd cost the same as if u worked there..........get over it!

so you're saying if you owned your own buisness you wouldnt mark anything up you sell :confused2 :angel1:
I just used CC as an example, and I know all retail stores mark up, it's called profit! Like I said i've worked in retail before(clothes & Electronics) and i know for a fact that MOST retailers over mark up their merchandise. It the same reason why I can go to one clothing store and find a shirt for x price, then I can go to another store find the same shirt for z price, and shirt z is not even on sale/store promotions. I'm not saying that I agree with those behaviors of certain consumers, but I dont feel sorry for the BIG retailers either, they'll still make their profit, so "get over it!"

·
Banned
186 Posts
SIR NUPE A LOT said:
Man **** these greedy ass retail stores! I've worked in retail before, and I know for a fact that they're blowing this shit out of proportion. They're not loosing all this money, they're not just getting as much as they can out of the consumer! It's plain and simple that they mark up their merchandise way over what they paid to turn an extreme profit. Take circuit City for example I got some car audio equipment from them some time ago and paid like $180 for a pair of inifinity 6x9's. I also have a friend who works there and took me to a site that shows how much the store gets them at! $45 ****ing dollars, so I basically paid 4 times the amount the store purchased them for. Hahahaha yeah the retailers are the victims here :confused2
Why in the hell would they lower their prices if people like you are buying it at that price anyway? Just to be nice? I dont think so.

Why anyone buys car audio from BB/CC is beyond me. Most of that stuff can be had for 1/2 of what they are selling it for.

·
Always something better
1,700 Posts
Some of you are missing the big picture, business is not cheap especially when running a Giant Electronic Store, the store location is usually in a high traffic area which mean rent each month can be as much as 50k or more, Insurance for employees, theft, stocking millions of dollars worth of inventory with your number 1 risk being employees theft, the only reason the speakers are bought for 45 dollars is cause the store chain probably bought 200 for each franchis location.

Just general upkeep to run the store with whatever is involved gets complicated, think of all the stuff they have to sell just to break even before they even start to make a profit, every 5 bucks or 100 bucks counts, the bigger it gets the more it matters.

All these headaches and Xmass is coming :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts