The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all just wanted to pop in and say hi I just bought a 19 altima sv and it gets far better gpm then I have ever gotten from a vehicle my other rides are 10 to 15 GPM but I am looking to do what I can to improve on the great mileage this car gets. i don't really care for the stock rims much figured if I'm getting new ones I might as well start there but need to know what the weight of the stock rim is so that I can look for something a little lighter even if its 3 or 4 lbs it will help. Also if you Google it there is a programer that says it will give you 8 gpm and 30 hp anyone use this it says it will not void the warranty but I am taking that with a grain of salt i have no interest in voiding the lifetime warranty on it. any suggestions

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
hello all just wanted to pop in and say hi I just bought a 19 altima sv and it gets far better gpm then I have ever gotten from a vehicle my other rides are 10 to 15 GPM but I am looking to do what I can to improve on the great mileage this car gets. i don't really care for the stock rims much figured if I'm getting new ones I might as well start there but need to know what the weight of the stock rim is so that I can look for something a little lighter even if its 3 or 4 lbs it will help. Also if you Google it there is a programer that says it will give you 8 gpm and 30 hp anyone use this it says it will not void the warranty but I am taking that with a grain of salt i have no interest in voiding the lifetime warranty on it. any suggestions
10 to 15 Gallons Per Mile is terrible gas mileage. Thank goodness your new Altima gets far better gpm.

You think a weight savings of 12-16 pounds will give you better gas mileage? I have a cheaper idea for you, which is much less expensive. Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. Only fill your tank 3/4 of the way, your 16 gallon gas tank, now filled to 12 gallons, will give you the weight savings you are looking for.

I suggest you continue to put your Google skills to good use and research this miracle programmer of which you speak. Keep your grains of salt handy.

After you research this miracle programmer, ask yourself this question..."Why don't the OEM engineers use this programmer? Don't they want "free" gas mileage and "free" horsepower?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true the 12 to 16 lbs is not much. But static weight out of the car is a lot different than rotational weight out of the wheels and tires. go to your local gym toss a 35 lbs plate on one side and a 45 lbs plate on the other side of your dumb bell then really spin each and try to stop each from spinning its just a little bit harder for the 45 lb plate to spin and stop than the 35. if your wheels and tires weigh less it takes less power to spin them less power equals less gas used. less gas used equals better GPM. Its the same the other way if you have a jeep sitting on stock rims with 37" tires then you switch to a quality bead lock rim you will gain 10 to 20 lbs a corner and you will loose 3 or 4 gpm.
as for the factory wanting more free power yes you are correct but with all the regulations for safety, emissions, and such that every vehicle that comes off the shelf is detuned to make less than max power unless its a toy like your Corvette, Hell Cat the trick is finding a tuner that can give you the power without negative side-effects like running the parts into the ground or voiding warranties.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You are pissing in the wind with your programmer idea, I used to sell them, they cannot alter the OEM software even if they say they can. To actually alter it is a violation of federal law as well, and the makers know that. $10,000 fine for it. Everybody that thought like you brought them back asking for a refund when they found that out. After I warned them before they bought them. They refuse to believe it. Truth is not truth.

Get out of the '70s mindset, the engines are NOT detuned any longer, the computer and software are the main reasons why same size engine now makes up to 50% more power than it used to.

Use lighter wheels then complain when they crack or break or bend when you hit things with them, why OEM wheels are slightly heavier. The OEM has already spent millions determining what is the optimum weight and saving weight means material cost saved to them over thousands of parts and increased CAFE standards mileage and they would not overlook that at all, as you are talking $$$$$$$ there. Think you can do better? I beg to differ. If you truly embrace the lighter wheel thing then you go to both lighter wheels and tires as in narrower and then drive it and find the handling has dropped by half. Not smart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts