The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it folks, I get a smoother ride at speeds 0 to 120-ish with my blizzaks than I did on the stock 17" rims and touranzas.

I get thumping in the wheel around 55-70 with the stocks/touranzas. I've had them balanced once.

When I go to get them put back on for the spring/summer, how should I approach the dealer to have this issue of out of balance resolved? Could it actually be the rim?

Thanks for your advice,

Scott

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
I agree! My Blizzaks are smooth as buttah, although they dance big time at higher speeds! I am having my turanza's balanced by a good friend of mine who has all the equipment at his house (he's a tire fanatic), I'm hoping this will resolve the issue of the 65 mph hop!

Oh yeah, I believe the issue is with the tire not the rim.

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agreed

Agreed on the bit of softness at high speeds if there is any sort of steering involved other than straight.

I also notice the torque-steer is much more evident on the winter tires.

Both as to be expected, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the handling, grip, low sound... generally impressed with blizzak performance overall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I dont know what you guys are talking about, but I have 235 40 18 z rated series tires and I can go 120 and weave through traffic very well. You can not tell I am going 120 it feels like 85 I love this car.

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tires

We were talking about 16" winter tires.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
ZaKmAnZ said:
I dont know what you guys are talking about, but I have 235 40 18 z rated series tires and I can go 120 and weave through traffic very well. You can not tell I am going 120 it feels like 85 I love this car.
Heh, if I tried weaving through traffic at 120 with my winter tires I'd be in the same snow bank you were trying to drive those 18"s in the snow/ice up here!!

The other thing that has surprise me is the tread wear. I have 6k on my snows so far this winter and they show very little wear. leads me to believe I could get 30k/3 winters out of these tires doing strictly winter duty. That would be nice:D

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tread wear

Agreed on the tread wear. I have the blizzak ws-50s, and I have more than my fair share of quick takeoffs and slowdows and dry surface, and i honestly can't see any treadwear so far. I have about 3.5K on them.

But I can't wait to put on my stock rims again either, I just bought the car in Nov, and tires in Dec, wasn't up to buyin really nice rims for winter. Maybe next year! :)

Anyone with much experience with these in the rain? I haven't really had a chance. I know tirerack.com rating of them in wet conditions was decently lower from my cloudy memory.

Scott

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
They're pretty decent in rain too. Better than the Turanza's IMO. They track straight no hydroplaning that I felt. Then again I think I've only seen 2-3 outings in the rain, the rest has been some type of snow!

I would think if you caught a warm day of rain (50 degrees) they'd get pretty squirly in the water. Mine have been on since mid nov and I've driven maybe 5 days above 40 and they start to get real soft when it's warm.

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
snow day: take two

Today I woke up to about 5 new inches on top of the 4 we already have, snowing heavily, bad out! So I thought, time for a drive!

The car did great, blizzaks perform amazingly! The lowest performance was simply trying to back up the hill to "unpark" my car on the diagonal parking on my street (brick road at that). I did have to do a bit of rocking forward and back (the snow plow plowed me in, i shoveled out to below the exhausts).

After about 6 forward and back rocks, I was rollin. The blizzaks stopped very well going downhill in a bottom wet/top dry snow, turns are superior, and accelleration is decent as long as you take it easy in the beginning (obviously, with any snow driving).

I found I was the only car out today, the rest were trucks, jeeps, etc. I had no problem maneuvering around vehicles and avoiding curbs "by memory" (couldn't see them....)

Anyway, my final vertict is in that i'm 100% satisfied with blizzak snow performance. Now, for a little ice..... I think that's Monday or Tuesday.... :)

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Re: snow day: take two

thatchman1 said:

Anyway, my final vertict is in that i'm 100% satisfied with blizzak snow performance. :)
You and me both! A very worthwhile investment!

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
I also have the blizzak ws-50, and now I love driving in the snow.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
I found their down fall last night. We had moderate heavy rain and the tires had issues with take off. Twice I spun the living poop out of them without trying. It was about 45 degrees with lots of water in the gutters and on the street. All and all I won't complain about them just be careful with them around town driving in the rain. On the highway they were fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts