The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 Altima 2.5 SL with 110K miles (have owned since 36K miles).

My son lives 200 miles away and is driving the car. He is reporting that the blower motor is making a noise. (Note: blower works and changes speeds per the dial.) I've done a little searching and am hoping its just a leaf or something caught up somewhere, which should reduce the amount of effort to resolve this (ie less to disassemble).

I'm going to provide 2 links to video where you can hear the noise and would appreciate input as to whether this sounds like a motor going bad vs maybe just the leaf theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12LJskIYfHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsPOh_MUgk

Thanks.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
It does not sound like a leaf or twig to me; more like metal lightly grinding.

BUT, clearing out a leaf and taking out the motor for diagnosis involve pretty much the same steps. If your son is even remotely mechanically inclined, he should be able to perform a more thorough diagnosis/cleaning relatively easily. As long as he's going through that sort of trouble, he should replace the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not sound like a leaf or twig to me; more like metal lightly grinding.

BUT, clearing out a leaf and taking out the motor for diagnosis involve pretty much the same steps......
I was thinking it was a much more involved procedure, including major dash dis-assembly ................ so is it mainly a matter of getting to the cabin filter (never been in there) via removing the glove box innards ?

I'll do some searching, but if anyone has a handy link ........ please post.

Thanks.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
There's a step-by-step somewhere on these forums. I found it last week, but cannot come up with search terms today for some reason.

It's simply removing the (8?) screws from the glove box, resting the box on a pillow so the wires to the light do not break, and unscrewing three screws to the blower.

Replacing the filter requires odd body placement and compressing the filter before inserting (bad design).

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
What MRR said. Couldn't agree more on the cabin air filter design being poor. When I changed mine a while back it didn't have the pull tab on it, I had to use a small hook to grab it and yank it out. And the fact that it has to be compressed... It's fine for putting a new one in, but when you pull the old one out the act of compressing it probably releases a lot of the trapped dust, leaf bits etc.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
I would bet the farm that is not a leaf. Sounds like something in the motor. I use to get leaves in my Honda Oddy all the time...yours is a mechanical sound

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got a chance the take a look at this, and here is what happened:

1) Using the cabin filter removal instructions, which were VERY helpful, I pulled the glove box. I could not see how to disconnect the 2 electrical leads, so I left them connected. I would have been nice to fully remove the glove box and get it out of the way - what is the trick to disconnecting those leads ?

2) I pulled out the blower motor. There was some dirt, but nothing major, no twigs or leaves that I noticed falling onto the floor. (Of course its my son's car, meaning the floor-mat area is not exactly spotless.........) I put the blower back in, hoping that maybe something changed position, or fell out, that was causing the noise. After putting it all back together, I noticed a small plastic white 'clip' on the floor. I cant say for sure where that came from (ie was in blower housing vs related to glove box removal itself, or was already on the floor when I started), but I'm hoping that was rubbing against the fan blades............. because the noise is gone ! We'll wait a few more days to see if the noise comes back, but hopefully we resolved it. I'll try to attach a picture of the clip.

3) I tried to get the old cabin filter out, but simply could not grab it. I could feel the filter element, but not the 'tab' for pulling it out. I think I tore a tendon or something in my finger and wrist trying to fish around in there to grab it - that was a bear. I think that having the glove box totally disconnected would have helped. When I decided to give up on the filter and put it all back together, I could not get the black plastic filter 'cover' to 'snap' into position, and thinking that I needed to 'expand' the locking tab so that it would 'grab', I broke the tab, so I positioned the filter cover the best I could, and am hoping some black Gorilla tape does the rest.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I could not see how to disconnect the 2 electrical leads, so I left them connected. I would have been nice to fully remove the glove box and get it out of the way - what is the trick to disconnecting those leads ?
If you read the same instructions that I did, then it suggested resting the box on a pillow to not stress the wires. That's a pretty good implication that there is no good way to disconnect it.

I have no memory of disconnecting it myself.

3) I tried to get the old cabin filter out, but simply could not grab it.
Almost positive that I grabbed it with pliers and just tore the thing out. It is a HORRIBLE design that I can only hope was necessary to prevent some other worse design from being necessary.

As to your clip; I have no idea. I don't have a memory of such a thing from when I cleaned mine. Hopefully it all works out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts