The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 3.5 , 5 speed. The car had a blown head gasket ( was running) swapped the motor with one out of I35 , everything went back together fine but the 120amp fuse by the battery blows when I try and start it. Doesnt do it with key on just when I try and start it. Had starter checked it's fine, disconnected the alt and it still did it. Checked with ohm meter the alt wire and starter wire , they checked good. Ripped the harness off and couldn't find any broken wires. What am I missing?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,540 Posts
It's the alternator. See p.3 of the PG section of the FSM. The only thing that can 'just' pop the 120 fusible link is the alternator. Disconnect the B cable at the +ve batter terminal and try to start your car.

Most likely the alternator cable has missing insulation somewhere that contacts the engine when it starts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I unplugged it at the alternator it did it still. I pulled the harness off and undid all the insulation and no bare wires or nicks anywhere. The starter main wire and alternator main wire connect at the same place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will try and turn over like maybe once and the fuse pops. It turns over slow even with a jump start.

·
5,540 Posts
I suggested you disconnect it at the battery terminal to avoid all issues with alternator wiring and the alternator itself. There are 2 wires on the side of the battery terminal...just disconnect the alternator feed and try.

There is no fusible link between the starter and the battery. So there's nothing to pop there. If only the 120A link blows and none of the others...the only thing that can cause that is the alternator and associated wiring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Agree.
Unplugging the alternator only rules out the alternator. It sure sounds like you have a dead short in a main cable.
Unhook the cable to the starter. Ohm to ground. Should not be.
Do the same with alternator.
Thats a high amp to pop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be back home friday or saturday and go through it again. I did disconnect from alternator and battery, tested wire with ohm meter on each end and it came up like .03, the starter I did the same thing and came up with the same reading.

·
5,540 Posts
Here is what I'd do (it's crude and might cost you a fusible link or two, but it's better than trying to learn electric circuit theory over night) and in the order I'd do them, obviously you stop at the one where things go wrong.

1. Disconnect the 'B' wire at the positive terminal. Test (this should allow engine to crank)
2. Disconnect the 'B' wire at the alternator (and wrap end with tape), reconnect at battery. Test
3. Disconnect the sense wire connector on the alternator. Reconnect B terminal at alternator. Test.

If it blows at #1 you either disconnected the wrong wire, or something downstream of the 120A is actually causing it to blow (highly unlikely)

If it blows at #2, your alternator B wire is faulty somewhere.

If it blows at #3 your alternator is faulty. If it happens without the sense connector connected, it's the rotor/stator, if it blows only with the connector connected, then the regulator pack is fried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok tested wires they all checked out. Bought a new starter and engine was turning over with no fuse pop but wasn't getting any spark to coils, I already had replaced crank sensor prior. I connected the sensor thats by the oil pan/ oil filter and I started having issues again and now blowing the 120a fuse again and starter is acting like my old one did. I think I burned this new starter up. I'm just beside myself I have never had so many problems with a car before.

·
5,540 Posts
Try a compression test while cranking (only pull one plug)...if you have excessive back pressure due to exhaust blockage, you could be overloading the starter causing it to draw more current and pop the fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'll try that. It has new cats on it also. That wouldn't cause it to have no spark would it? I pulled the new motor out of a running car.

·
5,540 Posts
You are looking for excess load...so could be the transmission stuck in gear, a bad torque converter, seized alternator...that kind of thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok a little update. I sourced a good wire harness and now it cranks with no fuse pop. It gets fuel because it will flood engine if I keep cranking on it but I am getting no spark. I replaced cam and crank sensors with oem ones, still no spark. Doesnt seem to be nats problem because security light acts as it should. Any other ideas?

·
5,540 Posts
check the ignition fuse too...might not have been just the fusible link blowing. check for +12V at the coils harness connectors when ignition is on. If +12V present...then ECU is not telling the coils to 'spark'...which means bad ECU or bad sensor inputs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts