The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
::Distant Illusion::
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Ok- maybe i missed this one but who won the Body kit contest?
2. Why can't Full body kits be made out of Urethane?
3. Are there any good kits out there for a good price that will handle every day driving? (with out having to worry about it chipping or cracking?)

I know I havn't been the only one to think of these questions
Any answers, comments or flamming (if i should have searched this first) is appreciated.. Thanks

·
Nissan tech in training
5,700 Posts
no, fiberglass which is easier to repair if damaged.
only urataine is the stillen lip.
the strongest kit ive seen is the ibi..Jeff, the creator, posted a pic of him standing ontop of on of his fronts.

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
you don't have to repair urethane, that's why it's better. you can't split it and rip it up like you can fiberglass.
It's not so much a question of not having to repair urethane, the general concensus is that you really CAN'T...and urethane isn't indestructible, otherwise people wouldn't have to replace stock bumpers when they have accidents.

I wrote a whole novel about fiberglass versus urethane, which can be read here:
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67455&highlight=urethane

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
i'll spare myself the reading and suffice it to say that regardless, it's still my opinion that urethane is better, since I have seen both urethane and fiberglass stand up to use and abuse.

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
i'll spare myself the reading and suffice it to say that regardless, it's still my opinion that urethane is better, since I have seen both urethane and fiberglass stand up to use and abuse.
Well fiberglass can't be lumped into one big category like that (and neither can urethane actually, most companies that are now making urethane kits are using garbage grade products)....you can't say that a $5500 C-West JDM fiberglass kit and a $400 eBay special are going to be equal in use and abuse...so spare yourself the reading if you wish, but you are making statements from an uneducated standpoint on the subject if you stick to your guns on this one..
I'm not saying fiberglass is universally better than urethane either...and if someone gave the choice of "urethane from undisclosed manufaturer" or "fiberglass from undisclosed manufacturer" then certainly your odds are better or receiving a quality product if you went with urethane..without knowing any further details. There are far more crap fiberglass kits than there are crap urethane ones, so in that way you are right.
But I'll say it again, C-West, Spoon, Veilside Japan and all the premier aero components companies in the world certainly have the budget to go urethane, but they don't. There are obviously reason for using fiberglass ONLY, and it definitely has its advantages over urethane. We here in North America are just very anti-fiberglass now because of all the shitty manufacturers we have in California, we're jaded now, so everyone is forced to start producing urethane for their North American clients ONLY, all JDM kits are fiberglass, and Europe is 50/50, many Audi, BMW kits etc..are urethane.

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
I'd rather you not bring up that I stand at an uneducated standpoint, without actually knowing what I know. I've known people with quality products in both categories, and the fiberglass has been cracked, split, torn, and scratched to hell, and the whole while the urethane was perfect.

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
Ok....you know everything...my bad :rolleyes:

I wasn't even flaming you, just saying you can't make sweeping statements like that. So I guess you've seen a car hit an object with a $500 fiberglass kit, a $5000 fiberglass kit, a $2000 urethane kit and a $800 urethane kit, and compared them, under like conditions...
I know you haven't (obviously) and nor have I, but your last statement make it sound as if you have.
Anyways, whatever....you can go on thinking all fiberglass sucks and urethane is perfect and flawless if you want dude.
(I've seen urethane screwed to hell after a minor curb incident, but of course that's impossible.)

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
Woooo! Flame war! :D

I'm just messing with ya man...I'm coming off as really pissed off when really I'm just making counter-arguments...my apologies if I seem like a dick (like my last post). Truce. :)

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
wtf. nowhere in any previous statement did i ever say anything remotely resembling an idea that I "know everything". As I stated in my third statement, it is my "OPINION". And that's that. So do you know everything? Considering you know that I obviously think "all fiberglass sucks and all urethane is perfect and flawless", and in none of my statements did I mention either "fact".

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
edit- not seeing your previous statement, I retract my previous statement, and hearby state that my statements were from my standpoint, and from what I've experieced, as seen in my aforementioned statements. lol....I'm not trying to start anything either dude, just tellin it like I see it.

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
edit- not seeing your previous statement, I retract my previous statement, and hearby state that my statements were from my standpoint, and from what I've experieced, as seen in my aforementioned statements. lol....I'm not trying to start anything either dude, just tellin it like I see it.
LOL.....ok gimme kiss :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts