The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, had a few quick questions regarding an exhaust setup on a 3.5. I am gonna go with a Borla setup, but didn't know which mufflers I should go with. Any suggestions or personal testimonies? What size piping would you recommend? I searched quite a bit on this and found most people to use either 2.5 or 2.25 piping. Regarding the pipe size, what sort of advantages do each have? I know it varies in the powerband, but not sure to what extent (HP, torque, etc.). I'm also going to most likely put in the 18" resonator. I found that some people say they used another muffler in place of the resonator. I'm guessing that a resonator is just another type of muffler yet given it's own name. Any brand recommendations or lengths on the resonator? A family member owns an exhaust shop so I can pretty much have anything done to the exhaust (lucky me :)). I will also have the CE downpipe installed at the same time. Hopefully I will see some significant gains. Thanks for everyones input in advance.

-Chris

·
Registered
582 Posts
If I were to go with Borla I would run 2.5" pipe off of the CA downpipe down to a Y and then twin it out to dual 2.25" pipe capped off with a pair of Borla Blow Torch mufflers. Most people seem to have the Magnaflow 14829's on their cars so it is hard to tell if you will need a resonator if you go with Borla. If you feel that the set-up is too loud after driving for a while I would then look into getting a resonator.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do like the Blow Torch Boomer series. I was also possibly looking at the Pro XS mufflers. Leaning towards the Boomer series as of right now.

Hot Damn, 50 posts in 3 years! I'm on a roll :p

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really a big fan of Greddy. I wanted to do something different that not many have done. I know there are a few people who have gone with Borla but I can't think of their names off the top of my head. Also, this custom setup will be a hell of a lot cheaper than Greddy and I prefer the sound of Borla over Greddy. The mufflers may cost quite a bit but will still end up being much cheaper since I have access to a family shop.

·
Jackpot Member
1,576 Posts
nyckid has a borla setup. he has sound clips as well. i was thinking of doing the same but ended up with the GReddy. Just something about that sound really appealed to me. good luck, let us know what u get...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I knew there was somebody who had a custom borla setup but I couldn't remember his name. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I guess I could have searched a bit harder. Hopefully I can get that soundclip from him.

I searched pretty hardcore today on any borla setups with the 3.5VQ. I know the sound won't be exactly the same even though it's the same engine but it gives me an idea. I found this page that has almost every possible setup for the 350z. www.everything350z.com/exhaust.html

Very interesting sounds some of these exhausts put out. I also see that Borla had a project Altima: www.borla.com/pv.altima/?mode=gallery

Why the hell do they have a project car with a complete exhaust and still don't offer a custom catback? The only thing I am worried about is maintaining enough backpressure so I don't end up losing any low end torque and hp. Any suggestions welcome.

-Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a custom borla, 2.25" with ProXS series muffler.

Its sounds awesome....depends on what your looking for.

It doesnt drone at all....at highway it nearly invisible...when u fire it up...it growls a growl that only borla could make. Idle a nice purr/gurgle.

Its not loud by anymeans....i havent had the time...and i say im gonna do it ...and soon i promise i will....i will have some audioclips!

Borla cant be beat....no matter how small the motor...it NEVER sounds like a fart can.

2005 3.5
5-spd

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome. That is exactly what I am looking for. NYKID used the turbo mufflers and he said it sounds great too. He used 2.5 piping all the way from the cat back. I think I'm just going to eliminate all cats and pop in a resonator. Emissions haven't made their way out to me yet. Does the cat do anything else besides protect the ozone? Maybe I will put a high flow cat in their just so I'm not polluting the ozone :) What exact setup do you have (piping sizes, resonator, cats, etc.)? Did you used 2.25 all the way from the cat through the y? My setup will look like this:

CE Downpipe-----resonator-----2.25 piping----y---2.5 piping----mufflers(not sure which)

I am still yet to find someone with one of the boomer series. I don't want it to be too loud or too gaudy.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
blow torch is like 190... thats kinda expensive for a muffler... I am lookin for a new exhaust also with the headers and resonator I got so I will be very interested to see what u choose. I think I will be going with a pro xs muffler to two 4" tips in back... not sure yet though...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thoroughly confused now. I called Borla inquiring about their project vehicle and why they had a project vehicle but no custom setup available. They said that they did produce one but it never hit the market due to lack of interest. I find that hard to believe. I then proceeded to ask about the different mufflers and what the difference was between all of them. He said that they all contain the same internals. The only difference is the configurations that they come in. The only difference with the boomer series to the turbo and pro xs series is that they are polished and have a tip. Well at least now I know to not get any of the boomer series. I also asked if they had any sound clips of the project altima. He said that they used to but they don't anymore. Damn!! There has got to be a soundclip of Borla on a 3.5 altima somewhere.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless he has changed his exhaust and not his profile, he is still running a JIC exhaust system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have to agree with Shorteeguy21 about the greddy, 3 different altima buddies with 3 different set ups (greddy,stillen,Borla) and all three of us agree the greddy has the best sound! Good luck with whatever you choose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts