The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions I've noticed. There are some postings around the forums about amp changes and speaker specs. If you wanted to "beef up" the sound in your 2002+ altima, it is entirely possible to do but just upgrading the AMP. The currect amp in the truck is a 6-channel 4ohm amplifier. Noticing the size of it (6"x6" or so) the power can't be all that clean.

My buddy and I ran some tests on the current configuration in the trunk, It's easy to convert the wiring harness that leads to the amp into RCAs. From here you can simply swap out the BOSE 6-channel "micro-amplifier" with a quality 6-channel or 4+2 channel amp.

Here's where I wanted to clear up some information, some people were saying that the speakers were 1ohm, this is not true at all. We tested each speaker, and they are 3ohms each. Easily enough to run a 4ohm stable amplifier, as they can do 3ohms without any problems.

The only problem you may run into is the 2 rear 6x9s only output lows, as the 6 channel amp probably has a built in crossover. It's easy enough to add a crossover externally though when changing amps. Otherwise ditch the 6x9s and run subs. :)

I have all the wiring labeled, but it's scribbled on a piece of paper, if anyone wants the diagram made out into something legible, I can see what I can do.

TMiN

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wish I understood more about audio, but I just can't seem to grasp any concept of it. I like my BOSE and thinks it puts out enough bass for the type of music I like (Alternative, Rock, etc.) However, all my friends listen to rap and hip-hop, so when they get in my car, they turn up the bass and the volume. This scares me because I don't want them to blow out my speakers. I thought about adding maybe 1 10' subwoofer on a RF Punch 250 amp (since I have one lying around) to let the sub handle all the bass and my factory speakers handle the HIs. Should I do this or do what you suggest (just change out the factory amp). I don't know...I'm ignorant when it comes to car audio. What should I do?

·
Shift_???
136 Posts
Same here, I don't know squat about Audio setups....!! but I would like to keep my factory speakers, and get maybe 2 subs in the trunk just for the Bass...and i'm wondering what you would suggest for me to do...as I don't want to go to some Audio place and they try to screw me cause they see I don't know $#*% about Audio configuration, and then they blow up my factory system...!! or say something like, we can't do it with the factory deck, you need to purchase another one, and then they start telling me I need to change the speakers also....!!

But at least from what I could read from your post, I wouldn't need to change the deck or the speakers, only the Amps..?!?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i dunno about the altima, but it appears the maxima bose system sucks.

Might be better off just getting something that wont explode :D

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
personally, i dont find it necessary to change the amp on the bose speakers. if you want better bass performance add some subs,
i added a 500 watt alpine amp and 2 10's to teh factory bose, my audio settings are set for the bass at 0
this way i adjust the amp forthe subs to adjust the bass, i have it set for the average amount of bass, i listen to alot of rock.alternative music the most so dont realy want overly heavy bass
but at times ill listen to rap or hip hop and want a little extra, ill bump the bass on the HU up to about 2 and all is good.

with this set up the surround speakers are exreamly clear and hits the notes dead on, no need to change out the speakers and factory amp.

as for things you need, i would suggest picking out a speaker that you like one or too and matching the rms wattage of the speaker with an amp that put out about the same range. if you are price concious you can always look on ebay and pick up some great delas.

items needed:
1) 1 or 2 (or even 3) subs
2) amp to provide enough power (always safe to get one with a little more power then you require, you can always turn the power level down on the amp)
3) a power cable to run from the batt to where you want to mount the amp
4) a ground cable to go fromt he amp to somplace on the body/frame
5) speaker wire to run from the rear speakers to a line converter
6) a line converter to switch from hi input speaker wire to RCA plugs
7) a remote wire to run from the new amp to the bose amp so new amp will turn on and off along with the radio.

depending on you skill lvel and of the subs are already mounted in a box, total install time is about 2 hours on average

·
Registered
34 Posts
TMiN said:
I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions I've noticed. There are some postings around the forums about amp changes and speaker specs. If you wanted to "beef up" the sound in your 2002+ altima, it is entirely possible to do but just upgrading the AMP. The currect amp in the truck is a 6-channel 4ohm amplifier. Noticing the size of it (6"x6" or so) the power can't be all that clean.

My buddy and I ran some tests on the current configuration in the trunk, It's easy to convert the wiring harness that leads to the amp into RCAs. From here you can simply swap out the BOSE 6-channel "micro-amplifier" with a quality 6-channel or 4+2 channel amp.

Here's where I wanted to clear up some information, some people were saying that the speakers were 1ohm, this is not true at all. We tested each speaker, and they are 3ohms each....

Although you may be trying to clear up misconceptions, you just added to them. The size of the amp does not necessarily have ANYTHING to do with power output or how “clean” the sound is. For example, some audiophile class A amps tend to be really big for only modest power output, however, their advantage is that their distortion measurements are extremely low and sound really "clean". Bose made its mark on the audio world by combining their speaker designs with active equalizers (Bose 901s) to compensate for the speaker’s inherent non-linearity. When they started making products for the automotive world, they used much of this technology to compensate for the adverse acoustic environment and speaker placement problems of the automotive interior. Whether these amps use any compensation or not, I can’t say, but simply replacing them with something bigger does not guarantee BETTER sound, maybe LOUDER, but to each his own.

Another note, simply measuring a speaker’s impedance with an ohmmeter is meaningless. The impedance of a speaker changes with frequency and is not constant. What is normally marked on the back of the speaker is its “nominal” impedance, which is its lowest impedance at SOME frequency. It’s quite possible that at some audio frequency the speakers you measured with an ohmmeter will exhibit a lower impedance than 3ohms .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Bose 8 Speaker System Info

PKAlti said:
Although you may be trying to clear up misconceptions, you just added to them. The size of the amp does not necessarily have ANYTHING to do with power output or how “clean” the sound is. For example, some audiophile class A amps tend to be really big for only modest power output, however, their advantage is that their distortion measurements are extremely low and sound really "clean". Bose made its mark on the audio world by combining their speaker designs with active equalizers (Bose 901s) to compensate for the speaker’s inherent non-linearity. When they started making products for the automotive world, they used much of this technology to compensate for the adverse acoustic environment and speaker placement problems of the automotive interior. Whether these amps use any compensation or not, I can’t say, but simply replacing them with something bigger does not guarantee BETTER sound, maybe LOUDER, but to each his own.

Another note, simply measuring a speaker’s impedance with an ohmmeter is meaningless. The impedance of a speaker changes with frequency and is not constant. What is normally marked on the back of the speaker is its “nominal” impedance, which is its lowest impedance at SOME frequency. It’s quite possible that at some audio frequency the speakers you measured with an ohmmeter will exhibit a lower impedance than 3ohms .
I do recall saying "Quality" amplifier, not bigger. No matter what you say the BOSE system in the Altima is not Audiophile quality, nor class "A". I don't think people who buy an Altima would consider a $30000 audio "upgrade" option.

I'm speaking from experience when it comes to car audio, if you're dealing with a "premium" audio system on a $25,000 car, you're not getting class "A". I myself can hear the distortion in the quality of sound, and I have bass and treble set to moderate to low settings. Speakers are only as good as the amp.

Most decent amplifiers can go at least 2ohm stable. The point you are trying to argue that a speaker measured at 3ohm with a multimeter will cause problems is far fetched. Bose wouldn't have equipment in a car that is anything under 2ohms, as anything below that throws sound quality and dynamics way off, as you demonstrated yourself, that's not the "BOSE" philosophy.

If you wish to argue apples to oranges, find a different forum, this is car audio, not the "Home Audiophile" thread.

As for the wiring diagram, I will get that to you guys ASAP.

Adrian.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RJL7HEL8 said:
I wish I understood more about audio, but I just can't seem to grasp any concept of it. I like my BOSE and thinks it puts out enough bass for the type of music I like (Alternative, Rock, etc.) However, all my friends listen to rap and hip-hop, so when they get in my car, they turn up the bass and the volume. This scares me because I don't want them to blow out my speakers. I thought about adding maybe 1 10' subwoofer on a RF Punch 250 amp (since I have one lying around) to let the sub handle all the bass and my factory speakers handle the HIs. Should I do this or do what you suggest (just change out the factory amp). I don't know...I'm ignorant when it comes to car audio. What should I do?
You're on the right track, most people find the BOSE system to be great, as I do, I'm just used to having competition systems in my vehicles. I'm by no means bashing the BOSE system in anyway.

What you are hearing is the limits on the speakers in the car, with everything MAXed, they're trying to push more air than physically possible, causing the speakers to reach their limits, you're probably hearing the mids bottom out in the doors.

If you were to just add an amp and a sub, you'd be able to keep the bass setting to a low setting, allowing the subs to create heavy bass instead of your front sound stage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlueAlti'03 said:
Same here, I don't know squat about Audio setups....!! but I would like to keep my factory speakers, and get maybe 2 subs in the trunk just for the Bass...and i'm wondering what you would suggest for me to do...as I don't want to go to some Audio place and they try to screw me cause they see I don't know $#*% about Audio configuration, and then they blow up my factory system...!! or say something like, we can't do it with the factory deck, you need to purchase another one, and then they start telling me I need to change the speakers also....!!

But at least from what I could read from your post, I wouldn't need to change the deck or the speakers, only the Amps..?!?!
Yes, that is correct, I'm going to attempt it myself ASAP, I'm just going to use a $300 crossfire amp, nothing special, and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

In theory though, yes, you should just be able to swap the amp out. You may want to run your own power wire from the battery though, the power wire in the current amp is 16 or 18 guage. I'm running 4 gauge from the front.

Adrian.

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
i believe the bose amp needs to remain in place, its not just an amp but also a main controll unit, you could possible re rout the speaker inputs but everything else i would suggest leaving them connected to the bose amp

·
Registered
34 Posts
TMiN said:
I do recall saying "Quality" amplifier, not bigger. No matter what you say the BOSE system in the Altima is not Audiophile quality, nor class "A". I don't think people who buy an Altima would consider a $30000 audio "upgrade" option.

I'm speaking from experience when it comes to car audio, if you're dealing with a "premium" audio system on a $25,000 car, you're not getting class "A". I myself can hear the distortion in the quality of sound, and I have bass and treble set to moderate to low settings. Speakers are only as good as the amp.

Most decent amplifiers can go at least 2ohm stable. The point you are trying to argue that a speaker measured at 3ohm with a millimeter will cause problems is far fetched. Bose wouldn't have equipment in a car that is anything under 2ohms, as anything below that throws sound quality and dynamics way off, as you demonstrated yourself, that's not the "BOSE" philosophy.

If you wish to argue apples to oranges, find a different forum, this is car audio, not the "Home Audiophile" thread.

As for the wiring diagram, I will get that to you guys ASAP.

Adrian.

I never said that the Bose amps are class A, they’re probably vanilla flavored A/B, I simply was making a point that commenting on the audio quality of an amp based on its size is irrelevant and misleading, your exact words were. “Noticing the size of it (6"x6" or so) the power can't be all that clean”. As far as the impedance of the speakers, again you miss my point. Simply said, you CAN’T measure the impedance of a speaker with a millimeter, period. I never said that measuring with a millimeter would cause problems; I’m just indicating that this is not how you measure the impedance of a speaker. All you measured was the RESISTANCE of the speaker, which is not very meaningful.

Bose designs their audio equipment as a “system”. They tailor the entire system (i.e. head unit, speakers, amps, eq., etc.) to provide a balanced approach of sound versus cost. Can you get something better? Of course, which is why there is such a large aftermarket industry.

I’m not arguing apples and oranges. I have been at involved in both car and home audio systems long before you were probably born. I’d be happy to go head to head on any technical arguments. The only reason I wrote the original comments was because you were trying to clear up “misconceptions” with misinformation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts