The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Altima 3.5's battery was drained (yeah I had brain fade and left the key on contact all night). After charging it with a electric-battery charger all is good.... all until I realized the 5 cds that are loaded are now "stuck" and the device will not eject/load/or play any of them and generates an error code ERR3 on the display.

Any clues?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
mproy said:
My 2002 Altima 3.5's battery was drained (yeah I had brain fade and left the key on contact all night). After charging it with a electric-battery charger all is good.... all until I realized the 5 cds that are loaded are now "stuck" and the device will not eject/load/or play any of them and generates an error code ERR3 on the display.

Any clues?
I checked the ESM and the manual and did not come up with anythiong. I got ERROR one time before but it fixed itself. The other day I was driving and my volume jumped up 10 numbers for no reason...scared the shit outa me

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Google has something on the error but it's restricted so I can't give you and answer. Try calling nissan service, maybe if you get the right person, who's having a spectacular day they'll decode the message over the phone and what you have to do. don't tell them about the bad battery thing.

Also, try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes. It's like a reboot for windows, it fixes 90% of the errors on windows, it may work for your car too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem fixed!

Guys I corrected the problem associated with ERR3 on a BOSE radio system.

The problem was the CD changer got confused and didn't remeber anything about the CDs that were loaded when the car's battery was drained.

Ends up I removed the radio/CD changer from the car, removed all loaded CDs, reinstalled everything and voilà!

I was able to perform this thanks to a fellow member (Yella Kalyana Chakravarthy) who directed me to a page with detailed instructions (see below) on removing the radio/opening up the dashboard and alot of thinkering with the CD loader.

The trick is to remove the rear cover of the CD loader to have access to a plastic gear that allows you to "roll up" the access door in the front to slide the discs out. This takes a little patience. But the procedure is pretty easy.

I took some pictures with my digital camera (poor quality) and can make them available to someone wanting to include this in the FAQ.

Regards,
M.P.

Link to the site with the procedure to remove the dashboard:
http://fluxu8.nismo.org/images/carapart/photo2.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Crap just got myself an err3 message too!! same exact symptoms. Thanks for the link hopefully I'll be able to get my baby back and running

·
Registered
2 Posts
fixed ERR3 Bose CD player problem

Well thanks to this thread I decided to tackle my similar problem. 2002 altima bose 6 cd changernot working. I had replaced my front headlight and had disconnected the battery, a day or so later my cd player would not work and the #1 cd icon was blinking then the err3 code came up. not sure if related but worth mentioning. I tried the fuse, no luck, tried to disconnect the battery again and then no cd function at all but radio worked. So i followed the removal instructions in the online manual.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2002/ip.pdf

1. disconnected battery, pulled the bottom plate straight out, 2 screws removed and pulled middle panel.
2. removed 4 screws, 3 wire connectors and antenna cable from radio and took radio to table for disasembly.
3. removed 2 small screws behind the face plate and carfully pulled it off, it is a separte piece connected by two spade terminals.
5. removed about 9 screws on the face plate mounting bracket oval and carfully pryed two clips open to remove
6. removed 2 rear bolts holding the bottom cd changer unit which is separate and carefully pulled the bottom plate by inserting a flat head screwdriver in the tab marked "open" on both sides and twisting. this removed the cd unit from below.
7. then there are 2 more screws to remove the back mounting plate that you could not remove prioe to pulling down, once removed you can remove the sincle flat termianl spade connection that connects it to the main circuit board. removed, now the whole cd unit is separate to work on.
8. upon inspection in the variois holes for hours I noticed that one cd was jamed cockeyed against a silding metal tab. I tried manually moving the eject gear on the back but it would not budge the cd since it was in at an angle jammed against the tab. from the the bottom were the cd can be seen I was able to push down the exposed cds on the spings and with a small flat blade screw driver I was able to slide/carfully pry the metal tab that was jamed and it clicked open.
9. I was then able to remove the jamed cd by spinning the eject gear manually.
10. one thing to note the jammed cd was a writable cd that appears to be a fraction bit wider and maybe why it jammed.
11. reinstalled and it worked perfectly.

In total it took me about 3.5 hours since I took my time and inspected it for over an 2 hours trying to figure out the mechanics. If I did it again it would have taken about 1 hour total. If you would like pictures of the repair let me know and I could post them. hope this helps someone else save $ and time. :woot:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Bose system CD changer on my 2003 Altima stopped working while I was trying to eject a CD.
After reading all the negative comments on line I gave up and decided I would enjoy the radio only. I thought the changers were faulty and couldn't be repaired. That was 2 years ago. Recently a friend told me about a radio repair shop locally that did all the dealership repairs, including Nissan. I took my car there, they removed the radio and had it repaired in 2 days. The problem was a tiny set of plastic gears in the changer. The repairman said those gears were THE MOST common breakdown of those Bose Nissan systems. The radio and changer for my Bose system is actually manufactured by Panasonic.
Don't give up on Your Bose system. You will probably be told to buy a new unit, but they will not properly interface with the Bose. You WILL be disappointed nothing is as good as a BOSE, in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts