The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't think i will get the BOse radio because i want a radio with MP3 Capability.

So, if i take the 900$ for the Bose, i think i can get a really good head unit (MP3 compatible) like the Kenwood Excelon product line with good replacement speaker from front and the rear like RockFord Fosgate Full Range.

I have put here Kenwood and Rockford Fosgate because i curently own them in my car and i am satisifed. Are they a good choice ?

What should i do?

P.S. The argument saying that you will not have the 6-disc in-dash changer is not valid since we can easily put 120 songs on one MP3 disc.

Slam

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
slamarre said:
P.S. The argument saying that you will not have the 6-disc in-dash changer is not valid since we can easily put 120 songs on one MP3 disc.
Yeah, but they sound like absolute crap to us audiophiles. I'd rather listen to mating cats getting run over by a lawnmower. :p

You can add an MP3 player onto the Bose system. Do a search on this forum. Besides, the stock head unit looks much better than an aftermarket rectangular DIN radio sticking out from the dash. I'm tickled with my Bose system, it sounds phenomenal.

Now, if I could have an SACD or DVD Audio player in there I'd rip it out and deal with the looks...

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,208 Posts
No car stereo is worth 9bills to me....But it sounds great..to get that sound.....I would know what to put into a car to make it sound that good. Best system "factory" I have heard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally, I don't think it is worth it. I spent a little over $1000 on my system (installed myself) and it kills the bose. When, I test drove one with the bose I was really disappointed. SGTBAXTER is correct though in the quality of mp3's. My DVD player plays mp3's also and I notice great differences in sound from one song to the next.

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Personally I think the stock system is damn good as well. I've only heard it on a test drive but it sounded great to me, when I pick up my car tonight though I'll be able to see what it sounds like long-term.

I plan to get a MP3-capable changer in the trunk and a sub whenever I do decide to upgrade my system.

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
Waddy said:
Personally I think the stock system is damn good as well. I've only heard it on a test drive but it sounded great to me, when I pick up my car tonight though I'll be able to see what it sounds like long-term.

I plan to get a MP3-capable changer in the trunk and a sub whenever I do decide to upgrade my system.
did you get the stock radio or Bose system? The Bose uses the rear 6x9's as a sub, which in surface area probably works out to something between a 10" and 12". I've been quite pleased with it, sounds good with most anything, though it could use reinforcement if you listen to stuff with heavy bass. Though if they were replaced with better 6x9's that would certainly help.

No match for the dual 15" I used to have in my old Bronco though :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Someone posted a while back that the components of this system would be more than the $8 or 9 hundred to replace. I'm very happy with the sound of this system and I've been listening to some new well recorded hybrids such as the Stones, Bluesquest, Junior Wells, Spiro Gyra & Alison Krauss.

A hybrid, is a dual layer disc with a CD layer & SACD layer. Obviously, I'm listening to the CD Redbook layers here but I think the Bose system does it justice, as compared to my SACD setup at home.

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
3wood said:
SGTBAXTER is correct though in the quality of mp3's. My DVD player plays mp3's also and I notice great differences in sound from one song to the next.
Mp3's are simply okay if you rip them yourself, and use super high bit rates. Though even at 320kbps I can tell the difference between them and uncompressed audio. They really suck if you listen to anything with any kind of subtlety to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Here is the problem i have.

Here in Canada to have the Bose Radio, we must purchase the Leather Package. For the 03, here is the options for this package:

Leather seating surfaces
Simulated-leather door trim
Heated front seats
AM/FM audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
Bose® 8-speaker audio system (150 watts and RDS)
HomeLink® universal garage-door opener
Auto-dimming rearview mirror
Front-seat supplemental side-impact airbags*
Front and rear supplemental side curtain airbags*

*Now standard on 03 3.5 SE.

I do not need leather, heated front seats, Home link and auto dimming. I do not want to pay 2100$ more for only the Bose Radio...

So for me, it is more than 900$ to have the Bose Radio, i think it is better to spend 1500$ CND and purchase after market CD/MP3 receivers and speakers.

Slam.

·
werd!
4,192 Posts
slamarre said:
Hi,

I don't think i will get the BOse radio because i want a radio with MP3 Capability.

So, if i take the 900$ for the Bose, i think i can get a really good head unit (MP3 compatible) like the Kenwood Excelon product line with good replacement speaker from front and the rear like RockFord Fosgate Full Range.

I have put here Kenwood and Rockford Fosgate because i curently own them in my car and i am satisifed. Are they a good choice ?

What should i do?

Slam
THe question is where r u gonna find a sucka to buy your equipment?

·
2,883 Posts
from someone who had the bose system and does not have it now, it's not worth it. the sound is almost as good with the stock system. I noticed the bose wasn't consistent. sometimes it sounded great and other times it sounded like crap. not worth the price. the only thing I miss is the in dash changer but I got over that.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,208 Posts
tytalian said:
from someone who had the bose system and does not have it now, it's not worth it. the sound is almost as good with the stock system. I noticed the bose wasn't consistent. sometimes it sounded great and other times it sounded like crap. not worth the price. the only thing I miss is the in dash changer but I got over that.
You are the devil!! :p

I have never heard the stock system to compare....That will bum me out if so>

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't forget that of all stock stereo systems in cars $30k and under, the Bose in the Altima came in at #2.

Kevin

·
Registered
833 Posts
SgtBaxter said:
Mp3's are simply okay if you rip them yourself, and use super high bit rates. Though even at 320kbps I can tell the difference between them and uncompressed audio. They really suck if you listen to anything with any kind of subtlety to it.
This is actually untrue, but you can dream. At 160kbps with studio equipment you cannot tell the difference between a CD and a mp3. At 320kbps this would almost be impossible. The only way that you can tell the difference is if the equipment cannot handle the bit rate.

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
e-squared said:
This is actually untrue, but you can dream. At 160kbps with studio equipment you cannot tell the difference between a CD and a mp3. At 320kbps this would almost be impossible. The only way that you can tell the difference is if the equipment cannot handle the bit rate.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Perhaps your sorry ears can't tell the difference, mine sure can! And if you've ever listened to SACD or DVD Audio, you might even think CD's sound bad.

160KBS sounds like ass! Compressed audio is just that.. compressed. To me MP3's are unbearably flat, and at 160 or lower have way too much distortion in the high range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bose for $900.00!! no way

I thought the Bose system sounded great for $900.00 The problem is that you cannot get it as a stand alone option.

You had to either get leather or sunroof- rear spoiler to get the
Bose. Which means you pay almost 2G's for the Bose + other
options. I would have gladly dropped 900 for the Bose if it was offered by itself. I'd rather spend that 2G on an after market system that would make the Bose sound like AM

ploobr.
:D

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
SgtBaxter said:

did you get the stock radio or Bose system?
Stock system.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a audiophile, but I can tell the difference between crappy-distorted sound and clean-full sound. To me the stock system is cool beans, I can live it with it for while.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts