The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just curious if anyone else has had serious issues with a bottle warmer. I installed mine yesterday and made the mistake of letting my bottle warm up for about thirty minutes with the car off. Next thing I know, I can't remote start my car and I have to turn off everything and start it with the key - barely turns over. It sounds like the battery is nearly dead.

I proceed to try out the performance with the bottle warmer and must say that it's a ton better but I'm worried about the battery now. If I don't have the bottle warmer on, the car will start with remote start, but even if I just flick the warmer on and try to remote start, it won't work. Is there seriously that much current draw from it?

The last of my problems is that my car will die while idling. It happened once last night when out with some friends. We were all chilling in a parking lot and next thing i knew, my car died. All I can figure is that my electric fans kicked on (which always drops the RPM from 700 to like 500) where it's really shaky, and then it recovers to normal. With the extra draw of the warmer, I'm sure it just couldn't recover.

Now i'm trying to look into getting a higher output alternator or possible upgrade to the yellow top optima. Pretty sure the alternator is more important though. I'm using an underdrive pulley and optima blue top (from before the blue top became marine). I've had the battery probably a little over four years and never a problem until this point.

Any ideas, thoughts, or related stories?

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
your first mistake was wiring it so that it'll heat even when the car is off. i connected it to my rear defroster (got the idea from RyanD). so when my car is off, so is the bottle heater. do you have a bottle pressure gauge? that is a good thing to have so you can keep an eye on your bottle pressure.

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually wired a switch back there. So when I crack open the bottle, I can throw on the bottle warmer too. So in that sense it's not really a mistake. Also, of course I have a pressure gauge back there. How else would I know what's going on and stuff?

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
the remote start
well the only thing that i can come up with is that the alarm module sees that there is a closed circuit in the car so its seeing it as someone in the car so it wont let you start it...

bottle warmer..
i would wire a relay to it..so that you dont forget to turn it off one day...
for example..

the relay will have 2 12v inputs 1 ground and 1 output
1 on the input is the remote wire..wire that to some thing that only turns on when the ignition is turned on(cig lighter, defroster, radio)
the other input will come from what ever 12v source you have...
then a reliable ground..
and the output goes to the warmer...that way every is good to go and the bottle will not be accidently left on....

should solve the remote starter problem too

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
kettnerc said:
I actually wired a switch back there. So when I crack open the bottle, I can throw on the bottle warmer too. So in that sense it's not really a mistake. Also, of course I have a pressure gauge back there. How else would I know what's going on and stuff?
looks cool, but it seems like wiring it to the defroster is more convenient, unless you use it a lot. if you wired it to the rear defroster, it wouldnt have heated while your car was off.

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
wire it to the defroster have mine there works great

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. You guys are really cutting me short though concerning how stupid you must think I am. :)

First of all, Sucio, the remote start is the least of my problems. I worried that I can barely get the car to start using the key method. The remote start doesn't sense any kind of closed circuit thing. I can sit in the car with the radio and subs blaring and headlights on and it'll start fine. Also, I used a relay in hooking it up. It came with the kit. I have a switch hooked up to the relay and I'm using power for all of this from my 4gauge amp wire. So I can go back there and flip the switch on at any time and it'll heat. I can also turn it off obviously.

And please explain what you mean by the remote defroster? Is that your on switch? Do you disable the remote defroster then too or do you let that run in addition to the heater? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the rear defroster shut off after a while?

My biggest problem is that I don't believe my charging system can handle the load that this bottle warmer poses. The NX heater is an amp hog and can get up to 400 degrees surface temp. When I am at idle with just the car running and the bottle heater on, my battery must be being drained. Cause if I shut off the heater and then the car (in that order), I'll have a really hard time starting the car the next time because there's little juice in it.

I'm wondering if I should look into a High Output alternator, rewiring grounds and power wires in the engine bay, or a new optima battery (probably yellow).

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
i can't answer your question on the alternator, but as for the defroster, wire the power wire from the heater to the power wire on the defroster. i just cut the wire and connected it to my heater, so my defroster won't work anymore (dont care cuz it'll mess up my tint). on the back seat, driver side, to the far left there should be a piece of the seat you can pull back and you'll see the wires. i think the power wire is black/red, but ask ryand or try a search for 'bottle heater' to make sure. i'm dont know if it shuts off after a while, i'm sure the bottle would have reached a high enough pressure before it does shut off

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
Hey Ignite, what type of wire did you use to extend the black with red wire from the rear window defroster to the bottle warmer. Did you use like a 10 gauge or higher? Thanks...

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
i just put a female connector on the wire going to the bottle.that way there were no wires that need to get cut..

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
Sucio said:
i just put a female connector on the wire going to the bottle.that way there were no wires that need to get cut..
Didn't you have to ground it as well? Where did you ground yours. Thanks.....:cool:

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
its grounded to the metal behind the seat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts