The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
In general, it will dampen the most sound on large, flat panels. you don't need to cover the entire area, but only about 50% of the panel area in the center. Dynamat will not have as much of an effect on the inside of the wheelwells as spraying the outside with a good rubberized undercoating. The majority of the sound is coming from the impact of debris and water on the bare steel. I would spray the wheel wells (build up some thickness with several coats), and add a section of dynamat to the inside of the wheelwell that is adjacent to the interior of the car and behind the rear seat back. Put the remainder inside your doors. This is the flattest panel and will resonate the most sound.

·
1,333 Posts
Altimat said:
In general, it will dampen the most sound on large, flat panels. you don't need to cover the entire area, but only about 50% of the panel area in the center. Dynamat will not have as much of an effect on the inside of the wheelwells as spraying the outside with a good rubberized undercoating. The majority of the sound is coming from the impact of debris and water on the bare steel. I would spray the wheel wells (build up some thickness with several coats), and add a section of dynamat to the inside of the wheelwell that is adjacent to the interior of the car and behind the rear seat back. Put the remainder inside your doors. This is the flattest panel and will resonate the most sound.

You can get that rubberized under coat at any parts store. I used to do my Jeep every spring. I'll probably do the rear wheel wells on the Alty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
??? for MacFamm...

What kind of 3M rubberizer compound did you use? Did you have to prep the inside of the wheelwell first? I have a jack and jack stands at home, so if I need to take the wheels off, that's no problem...

As for the Dynomat--where do you stick it on the "inside of the rear wheelwells"? I assume you're putting it on the inside of the car, around the wheelwell? If so, how do you get to it--isn't there carpet over it in the trunk, and seats over it in the rear passenger area?

Sorry for all the questions, but teach me, master!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Woah! You have seats and carpet in YOUR car??? Man! I got ripped!!!

hehehe.... No... actually, you will have to do some dissasembly to put on the dynamat. I haven't taken out my back seat yet, (big suprise) but in my old altima, it was just held in by two bolts where the carpet meets the front of the seat. Remove those and then pull the base of the seat out. You will see A LOT of exposed metal under there. Put the dynamat on the wheel wells and floor if you would like. You may have to pull back the carpet in the trunk to get the entire wheel well. Then put the seat back.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Re: ??? for MacFamm...

a4racer said:
What kind of 3M rubberizer compound did you use? Did you have to prep the inside of the wheelwell first? I have a jack and jack stands at home, so if I need to take the wheels off, that's no problem...

As for the Dynomat--where do you stick it on the "inside of the rear wheelwells"? I assume you're putting it on the inside of the car, around the wheelwell? If so, how do you get to it--isn't there carpet over it in the trunk, and seats over it in the rear passenger area?

Rubberized undercoating. 3M is best. Non-rubberized never dries, stinks, etc. Ritepina said there are 2 loops to pull to release the rear seat bottom. I haven't tried this. Cover the portion of the wheelwell adjacent to the passenger compartment for the best results.

·
14 Posts
Re: ??? for MacFamm...

a4racer said:

a4racer, I used the 3M kind of 3M rubberized undercoat (sorry to be a dick, but I couldn't resist!). I just brushed the fenderwell out lightly with a wire brush before spraying on the undercoat. To do it right you will have to remove the wheel.

For the dynomat, I first removed all the clips holding the carpet down in the trunk so I could fold the carpet out of the way, I then removed the bottom of the rear seat (Altimat is correct, two pull-tabs under the seat make this a snap) and then the back of the rear seat comes right out as well. Once you have the rear seat and trunk carpet out of the way the DynoMat install is a snap. It really worked well. I plan on doing the doors and the floorpan, but that's a much more involved task.

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Macfamm, I suppose I deserved that one...I tried using a crap brand of undercoating and it all fell off within a week, and with a car wash the next week. It was kind of disconcerting watching black chunks come out from under your wheelwells with the water...so I'll rephrase...what is the trade name of the 3M undercoating? Do they carry different types? Where did you get it? Our big store up here for automotive stuff (Canadian Tire) doesn't carry any...

Thanks man!:D

·
14 Posts
Undercoat

a4, the exact name of the product is "3M Underseal Rubberized Undercoating" and the part number is #051135-08883. This product probably cannot be found at a regular parts store but an actual painter's supply place should have or be able to order it. I got mine from a buddy at his body shop.

·
Registered
173 Posts
2002Altima said:
Woah! You have seats and carpet in YOUR car??? Man! I got ripped!!!

hehehe.... No... actually, you will have to do some dissasembly to put on the dynamat. I haven't taken out my back seat yet, (big suprise) but in my old altima, it was just held in by two bolts where the carpet meets the front of the seat. Remove those and then pull the base of the seat out. You will see A LOT of exposed metal under there. Put the dynamat on the wheel wells and floor if you would like. You may have to pull back the carpet in the trunk to get the entire wheel well. Then put the seat back.
The back seat(s) come out very easily you just pull forward and up. They are each held on by a single plastic fastener. (er...at least the left seat is I didn't really pull the other side off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.