Nissan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Haf you seen my baseball?
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Best Buy yesterday looking to buy a dual enclosed box for my two 12s that are hopefully coming in the mail sometime soon but the guy I talked to actually talked me out of a sale. He said that I should be either getting a custom made ported box that would hold two 12s or I should get 2 different ported boxes that hold 1 sub each. Both of which he didn't have. I was suprised that he actually talked me out of buying this whole thing. But is he right? Do I really need a custom ported box or the 2 ported boxes with 1 sub each? Those were like +50 bucks a box he said which is kinda steep. Do I really need this? I'm thinking about just making my own custom box but I don't know which one would be better, the one ported box to hold 2 subs or the 2 ported boxes to hold 1 sub each.
Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
You need a box that is within the space requirments for the woofers you're using. I don't think it matters whether it is one box or two, but each woofer needs its own chamber. I know very little about ported boxes... my enclosures are sealed, which I prefer. Custom is for looks and to save space. You can make the box an odd shape so it fits where you want it and takes up less space.

Demmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, you definitely want a separate chamber for each sub. Whether it be two chambers in one box or two separate boxes. It's your choice. Make sure whatever box you get or build has enough cubic feet for the subs your getter.

As for the ported part, it depends on you. Ported boxes usually gives you a looser, boomier sound. But normally it will be louder as well. It's a trade off. But it's a personal preference. I prefer sealed boxes and enclosures myself.

B

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
Well, custom does not necessarily mean that it has to be a tricked out design. I think he was leaning more towards getting a box made that just has the specs required/recommended by the sub manufacturer. When speaking of sealed and ported, I prefer sealed. Here are the differences I feel about sealed vs ported. Sealed is more exact, is gives you punch and boom, not as much boom as a ported. Sealed takes alot less space. You need a little more power to power a sub in a sealed box. Ported is more boomy, doesn't need as much power to be loud. But it's not as exact. Ported takes up alot more space. Sometimes 2x as much. I've never run a ported box, personally. I'd go with one with seperate enclosures. Or you could build 2 and then just attach them together. But I would definately recommend 1 enclosure per woofer.

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
May i ask, what subs you are getting? I might be able to give you an idea what type of enclousure your subs would require. But the guys are right...they have to be in separate chambers. The only thing for you to determine is the volume requirement per box. A ported or sealed choice will depend on what the manufacturers specify for you subs.

·
Haf you seen my baseball?
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screw it I'm just gonna build my own. That would be fun as hell to make and I can do it custom to make it look better. In the last issue of either Super Street or SCC (can't remember) there was with custom box with the back cutout and glass put on top of it so you can see inside and the inside was all mirrors. I'm about to do something like that with some cool neon lighting effects around my amp/box. But I still don't know how big to make the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Charred
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing