The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brake light out. It's on the right side rear. All the bulbs in the light unit are functunal, i've replaced all four of them. When the headlights are on, some of the bulbs are on, and when the brake is pressed, a bulb goes out that is lit on the left side. I know the bulbs aren't gone because they work when the brakes are off but the lights are on. I checked the fuses and there's only one fuse for the whole brake light system, which is in good shape. My question is, is this a wiring issue? Has anyone had this problem. My friend has a similar problem on a Camry.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Well, i have a couple of qnswers. Look to see if anything is blocking the metal connectors the bulbs touch.... and check the second filament in the bulb...If it is a wiring issue just look to see if those wires look burnt.. check the taillight rewire mod in the FAQ's maybe you have a cool mod!!! hey ya never know.

·
2003.5 g35 :)
417 Posts
oh god are u kidding me... listen if you look at the bulb close.. there are actually 2 bulbs in one... well 2 wires... One wire is for the bright light .. like lets say when you press your brake.. and the other is for when the head lights are on .. ok so that means your bulb is dead! Buy a new one..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i said i replaced all four bulbs...

That did not fix it, I'll check to make sure they havent' burnt out. If they have, what might cause a quick burnout of the bulb?

·
SUCK MY HAIRLESS GONADS!
3,292 Posts
this happened to me. tighten all screws on the back of the taillight housing. there's a couple per bulb i think. get them real tight and see if that helps.

·
13,021 Posts
I wouldn't screw them in too tight. The plastic housings that house the screws get soft when the brake lights are on and you might end up cracking the plastic. I would unscrew the ground and gently rescrew them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. I hadn't noticed that plastic piece for the screw that held the ground terminal to the wire was melted a little and the wires were not making a solid connection. I just screwed it down a little more and everythings working.

·
L4D2 Rage!
1,818 Posts
I had a similiar problem like that, whenever you hit the brakes the the outer most bulb would go off and the inner one would turn on brighter, instead of both lights go brighter at the same time, i found out it was the ground wire, my sisters altima and my friends car also has the some problem , im not sure if this is really a problem but i think thats how they came out....i dont know ???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, that bulb seems to melt some of the plastic in there, i hope it doesn't melt it too much.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
mrdeucie said:
I wouldn't screw them in too tight. The plastic housings that house the screws get soft when the brake lights are on and you might end up cracking the plastic. I would unscrew the ground and gently rescrew them.
agreed, not ridiculously tight, just nice and firm where you gotta put in some effort to get it to go further

1 - 11 of 11 Posts