The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I have a 2015 Altima 2.5 SV with just over 20k miles on it; I've had it for 14 months (purchased new). My fiancee had it in to the dealer to have the recommended 20k mile brake fluid flush and airbag sensor recall performed. (I've peformed the oil changes, tire rotations, and cabin air filter replacement myself up to this point.)

First off, I was surprised to see that they had charged me (well, my fiancee) $31.50 to perform the recall. Luckily, a quick phone call refunded me this mistaken charge.

Second, I was surprised to see that my front brake pads have 5mm remaining and rear brake pads 3mm remaining. From the service manual (p. BR-49), front pads are 11mm new and have a wear limit of 2mm, while rear pads are 8.5mm new and have a wear limit of 1mm.

The dealer recommended replacing the rear pads within 5k miles.

It seems odd to me that the rear pads would need replacing before the front pads since most braking is performed by the front wheels. It also seems like a brake pad life of 25k miles for the rear pads and probably around 30k for the front pads is pretty short.

I realize that driving habits and city/highway driving has a huge effect on pad wear, but I consider myself a fairly "green" driver in terms of my driving habits (e.g., coasting up to a red light instead of continuing to accelerate and then braking close to the red), and my driving has been approx 60% highway/40% city (but it's hard to come up with a precise number on that).

What kind of life has everyone else seen with their OEM brake pads?

tl;dr: At my current pad wear rates, I'll need my front pads replaced around 30k miles and rear pads replaced around 25k. Is this out-of-the-ordinary?

Thanks!:smile

PS- A related question: what pads does everyone recommend for replacements? I plan to do the pad replacement myself, as it doesn't seem like too much of a chore.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Hello!

I have a 2015 Altima 2.5 SV with just over 20k miles on it; I've had it for 14 months (purchased new). My fiancee had it in to the dealer to have the recommended 20k mile brake fluid flush and airbag sensor recall performed. (I've peformed the oil changes, tire rotations, and cabin air filter replacement myself up to this point.)

First off, I was surprised to see that they had charged me (well, my fiancee) $31.50 to perform the recall. Luckily, a quick phone call refunded me this mistaken charge.

Second, I was surprised to see that my front brake pads have 5mm remaining and rear brake pads 3mm remaining. From the service manual (p. BR-49), front pads are 11mm new and have a wear limit of 2mm, while rear pads are 8.5mm new and have a wear limit of 1mm.

The dealer recommended replacing the rear pads within 5k miles.

It seems odd to me that the rear pads would need replacing before the front pads since most braking is performed by the front wheels. It also seems like a brake pad life of 25k miles for the rear pads and probably around 30k for the front pads is pretty short.

I realize that driving habits and city/highway driving has a huge effect on pad wear, but I consider myself a fairly "green" driver in terms of my driving habits (e.g., coasting up to a red light instead of continuing to accelerate and then braking close to the red), and my driving has been approx 60% highway/40% city (but it's hard to come up with a precise number on that).

What kind of life has everyone else seen with their OEM brake pads?

tl;dr: At my current pad wear rates, I'll need my front pads replaced around 30k miles and rear pads replaced around 25k. Is this out-of-the-ordinary?

Thanks!:smile

PS- A related question: what pads does everyone recommend for replacements? I plan to do the pad replacement myself, as it doesn't seem like too much of a chore.
Check them yourself, that can't be right. Even the worst drivers don't wear out pads that quick.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have a jack and jack stands, you can check this yourself pretty quick. Ours went 95k miles of mostly highway use before changing pads and rotors, front and rear. We could've probably gone to 110k if necessary, as there was still some pad material remaining when we changed them.

YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have a jack and jack stands, you can check this yourself pretty quick. Ours went 95k miles of mostly highway use before changing pads and rotors, front and rear. We could've probably gone to 110k if necessary, as there was still some pad material remaining when we changed them.

YMMV.
I do have a jack and jackstands. Going to check them myself this weekend... I noticed, however, that the distance between the caliper and rotor in the front and back is 5 and 3 mm, respectively. (These are the measurements that Nissan told me for my brake pads!) Surely their techs actually know how to properly measure the pad wear??? :surprise

·
Registered
364 Posts
Surely their techs actually know how to properly measure the pad wear??? :surprise
If you trust that they need to be replaced, then replace them. It's a little unusual to chew up brake pads that quickly, but none of us are in the car with you to monitor driving habits. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that someone has been riding the brakes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That does seem low, but I guess it does depend on driving habits and if it's all city. I suppose city driving would require more braking. I do quite a bit of highway and over 55k and they haven't mentioned replacing the brakes to me yet while getting stuff done at the dealer.

·
1,340 Posts
Sometimes they misread (on purpose?)
Mine have been almost gone, then suddenly 4mm thicker 8K later. I had at least 3 times they reported thickness that varied in ways, there was no question, it was incorrect. See what happens at the oil change.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Agreed with other comments, we have 4X,XXX on our 2014 on original pads with a decent amount of city driving included. Of course driving style plays a part as well as the type of miles, but 20K would seem out of the ordinary unless you're slamming the brakes at every light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would not trust the dealer, I always double check. One of the Nissan dealership told me that my rear brake pads are "dangerously thin" and that I HAVE to change them at 20k miles. I had a Nissan mechanic buddy of mine check it out that same day and he said my brakes were fine. Now I am at 47k miles and both my front and rear brakes are still in the "green" from OEM.

p.s. For what it's worth, I've driven mostly highway and I also drove a year and half in NYC (Queens), it was a nightmare driving wise.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
I would not trust the dealer, I always double check. One of the Nissan dealership told me that my rear brake pads are "dangerously thin" and that I HAVE to change them at 20k miles. I had a Nissan mechanic buddy of mine check it out that same day and he said my brakes were fine. Now I am at 47k miles and both my front and rear brakes are still in the "green" from OEM.

p.s. For what it's worth, I've driven mostly highway and I also drove a year and half in NYC (Queens), it was a nightmare driving wise.
You can't trust anyone in car service, the only thing to do is learn how to check them yourself. Almost as bad as dentist .. LOL!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If&/or when you find a great - trusty mechanic or whatever , keep that one , luckily I have one trusty mechanic . A rare thing I must say .

It s a way bit used , for mileage done to it. Wonder how it s ridden , hard braking in town or something alike .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kybandy, any update on this?
Sorry to leave everyone hanging on this. I checked them on or about 6/13/16. I found that while Nissan claimed the Front pads were at 5 mm, they were actually at 6 mm. Furthermore, Nissan claimed the Rear pads were at 3 mm, but they were actually at 5 mm.

I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Service Manager, who called me back and apologized and said he'd talk to the technician. I was hopeful that they'd offer to refund a portion of the cost of the brake fluid flush ($120), but no such luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to leave everyone hanging on this. I checked them on or about 6/13/16. I found that while Nissan claimed the Front pads were at 5 mm, they were actually at 6 mm. Furthermore, Nissan claimed the Rear pads were at 3 mm, but they were actually at 5 mm.

I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Service Manager, who called me back and apologized and said he'd talk to the technician. I was hopeful that they'd offer to refund a portion of the cost of the brake fluid flush ($120), but no such luck.
contact head office
one does not talk to technician and say sorry if they were not WRONG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts