The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
coffee black and egg whit
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welp...my front brake pads are worn to shit.... the dealer wants 235 for parts plus install or just like 70 for just the pads...my dad said he could install then pretty easily but when i was at teh dealer he was telling me that if i changed the pads myself id still have to get the rotors turned and that costs like 90 dollars alone?!?! do i have to get the rotors turned??? also is there a place to get oem pads cheaper??? or should i not get oem pads...by teh way i have a 00 with 4 wheel discs...thanks for ur help.....

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Nate you moron

Why not just call me and ask....
Anyway, you can have the rotors in the front and rear turned for $40 total, plus the best brake pads at Checker are $52 for all four corners, plus an hour of your time, equals $92 otd...
Geez, dealership, let me guess, Pukin Nissan, err Pinacle Nissan?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I paid 20$ for Raybestos(regular price ~70), and I think it was 30$ to install and grind the rotors. DO NOT GO TO NISSAN!!!!!!!!! You can't install them yourself(well you could), but you should get the rotors grinded(don't know what they call it) so they can be smooth again

·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thats fine....well i just founded out i needed brakes about 20 minutes ago lunny......and also...my dad is gonna install the brakes and 40 bucks to get them rotors turned is good......but what kind of brake pads should i get? my dad told me to get oem ones????? and i only need the front two......

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
oem ones are good, the raybestos I have are a bit better, nothing special though. There's also EBC, Axxis Metal master, and some other's but I haven't heard much about them. If you're not looking for anything special, I'd say go with OEM or raybestos, they're just as good but cheaper.

·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
alright ... no one thinks that a certain aftermarket brand are better? oh and alex....where can i get my rotors turned for 40 bucks???

·
Registered
517 Posts
It is usually $10 to turn a rotor or drum at any autoparts store. If you go to a local garage they might do it even cheaper. I have had OEM, axxis, but now I have EBC greens on it now with cross drilled rotors. I think the EBC are better than axxis, but vs. OEM..... depends on how you drive.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Nate

Checker on Tatum/Bell can do em, or any checker for that matter, and I meant $40 for all four corners...I got Raybestos from Checker too, and I love em, but they squeal....

·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Nate

NissanLunatic said:
Checker on Tatum/Bell can do em, or any checker for that matter, and I meant $40 for all four corners...I got Raybestos from Checker too, and I love em, but they squeal....

giddyup....so that will only be like 20 bucks for my front two! GAME TIME

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Re: Nate

NissanLunatic said:
yeah, raybestos squeal alot, probably cause they're metallic

·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any other suggestions on brake pads??? i gotta get em tommorow after school and so far im leaning towards oem...my dad said he'll never put raybestos on a car becasue they squeal like a mutherfucker

·
Hiiiigh Rollin!
103 Posts
is it really that necessary to get your rotors turned id guess so but when do u do it befor or after you put the new pads on ??
well thanks -Jon

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
95GXE said:
is it really that necessary to get your rotors turned id guess so but when do u do it befor or after you put the new pads on ??
well thanks -Jon
how would you turn them after the pads are back on? hmmmmmm????

You do it before... when you break the assempbly down and remove the pads, you remove the rotor. What turning means is that you put it in a machine that removes a thin layer of metal. The purpose of this is to get a nice flat surface again. During driving, rocks or dirt, etc get between the pad and rotor causing grooves. This affects brake performance. Turning them smooths it out so the brake pad is flat against the rotor...

Each rotor has a specific max level that you can turn them to, and once you've shaved beyond that level, you have to get new one.

·
7,208 Posts
This is the very reason I took auto mechanics in highschool. I can go back to my highschool and turn rotors and use lifts there to my hearts content. And I graduated forever ago...

·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sooooo seems like oem is the way to go???? unless sumone gives me a better suggestion in the next couple hours ill go get sum!

·
1,265 Posts
Buy the pads on the internet for like $50, then go to a cheap shop, and tell them you HAVE the part and you only want them to put it on. Boom your done with $$$ saved!!

G

·
I don't think theres any problem buying after-market pads. Just don't buy semi-mettalic. On our cars they squeel like a bitch. Buy ceramic, thats what the OEM are. Raybestos makes quiet stop pads... they are just more money. Checker can get them.

Demmy

·
AKA Howey Feltersnatch
573 Posts
i just got slotted rotors all the way around (all four, its an SE) and i got metal master pads for them all for not that much. the parts were 414 shipped and then install was 150. i went to the same shop to get them installed that quoted me at 750 for parts and install. i saved like almost 100 beans. latas. . .

·
Banned
0 Posts
most definitely get the rotors turned while doing the brakes.....anything else would be a waste of money because you will need to do it later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts