The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any major brake shops that will put on brake pads that aren't from them? I would put them on myself, but I don't have the tools.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
Borrow some tools from someone, or buy the tools. It's not worth it to let the shop do it. Brake pads are a very simple task that will take you about 10-15 minutes per corner.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
a set of rachet and sockets can be had for $20-30, a cheap torque wrench for $10 or less (flex bar type), otherwise you can use loctite blue to keep the sliders' bolt in, it's only rated at 16-20ft/lbs for most passenger cars. anything more and you're going to snap those 12-14mm bolts..

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
You'll also want a good-sized C-Clamp (~5 bucks or so) that will fit over the caliper. You'll need it to push the brake-piston back into the caliper... otherwise you'll have a hell-of-a-time putting the caliper (with new pads) back over the rotor.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
^also adding to the C-clamps, don't use it directly on the piston's center, the piston is supposed to puch the pads at its' outer lip, not the center, so use the old brake pad to help apply pressure to the piston. Remember to open the master cylinder cap as well or loosen the bleeder screw, otherwise you're looking for trouble down the line.

·
Pacman
341 Posts
Yeah it doesn't take much at all to do them. I have done them on a coupla cars, just remember to have the c-clamp handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts