The Nissan Club banner

Brake Question

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  d0ugmac1 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2015 Altima S at 60,000 miles. Dealer is trying to make a buck and saying I need to change rear brakes since they're at 3 mm (fronts are at 4-5mm). I know I can go longer. Couple questions:

1) Do the OEM brake pads come with brake wear indicators for both the front and back that will squeak at some point? And what mm thickness does this usually happen at...1 or 2 or 3 mm?

2) Anyone here have to replace rotors also on first brake change / is it necessary? I don't have any vibrating when I brake, so I was planning on just doing brake pads, not rotors.

Thanks!
- Matt

#2 ·
Replacing brake rotors on the first brake job for any car is not a common thing. As long as they are not warped it should be fine, you will also hear the brake wear indicators at around 3- 2 mm. If no vibration when you brake you can possibly get away with just changing the brake pads. I would recommend changing them sooner than later tho. Also the front pads do usually wear out faster than the rears do, sounds like your caliper guide pins might be getting stuck.

#4 ·
If a C-clamp won't do it...you need to rebuild your caliper or replace it as it is almost certainly seized.

#7 ·
How are you guys using c-clamps on rear pads? Most are constructed so the piston has to rotate to move out (threads into the caliper), it's what adjusts the parking brake and use of a c-clamp there will and often does destroy the caliper and piston. The front you can use a c-clamp on as that piston simply pushes back in with no spin needed to do it.

Nissan would have to be making the calipers different from most other designs out there.

#8 ·
I've never had one that wasn't 'normal'. I assume you are referring to this kind of thing:

and

but I've only seen this style which works just fine with a c-clamp!

#9 ·
No amc49 the rear pistons don't have to be rotated back into the caliper. I think you might be referring to the pistons on the rear of a Honda.

#10 · (Edited)
Or on a Ford or GM or Mopar. I'm curious now how the Nissan rachets up the parking brake. Most use the piston meaning it cannot be c-clamped to install it. Like in the first two pics given there.

If you knew how many c-clamps I had to argue about warranty over once bought and broke in two trying to press pistons that wouldn't press you'd know why I asked. Can't count, got so bad I began to prewarn anybody buying c-clamps, don't bring it back broke in two as we know what you did to get there.

This is a new one on me. I'll have to look at the service manuals to see how the parking brakes adjust now, maybe they move the caliper housing itself.

I've always simply used two long screwdrivers to pry the piston back in fully and no c-clamp needed. On those that work that way of course.

Old dogs, new tricks.

#11 ·
#12 ·
The parking brakes are just shoes inside the hub of the rotor (independent of the caliper system). Traditional sprung top and bottom with a star-wheel adjuster at the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.