The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Nissan Altima GLE and I have a few brake questions. I have never changed brakes before, however I did print some guides out from this site and I am pretty sure I can follow them without a problem.

1) Can you convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes? If so does someone have detailed instructions?

2) I have a tutorial on how to replace the front disc brakes but not the rear drums? Does someone have a tutorial for this, or should I get the Hayes manual?

3) Also I don't have any means of repairing the surface of the rotors, so is there something I can check for to see if they need to be replaced?

4) I read in hear that rims can be repaired if they have scratches, scrapes etc. on them? Is this true?

5) If I need to replace the rotors, does someone have a tutorial?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Pacman
341 Posts
1.You can convert drums to discs on lots of cars, but I'm sure it would cost a lot-someone may have done it on here, but I am not sure. 2. You might as well just get the Haynes manual, cuz you'll need it at some point anyway. 3. Take them to a place like AutoZone- they can tell you if they can be turned or not- look for grooves, uneven wear, etc. 4. Lots of companies do this- Google search. 5. I don't, but the Haynes manual and some other people will. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts