The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
renwO amitlA duorP
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
damn this is so annoying. i have owned 4 cars since i have been driving and all but 1 have had this problem and it was a shitty FORD! anyway, when i apply the brakes there is a shimmy and vibration.
This is extremely noticable when braking at high speeds and with 4 people in the car. When i pull on the e-brake i can feel the same pulsation from the rear brakes.

Anyone have the same problem?

Anyone know what causes this shimmy crap?

Anyone know why my driving always causes this. All of my cars have been 5-speed and i hardly ever use the brakes except when coming to a stop, most of the time i downshift to slow down. strange huh? i use the brakes once in a while and this always happens, yet on my friends cars where they use the brakes all the time and very hard it doesn't happen. crap.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
the only thing i can think of is that you need your stuff resurfaced...unless theres another explanation?
how many miles are on the car?
did you get it used? if so, someone may have already started the damage, and it just appeared with you driving.
My old 87 Honda did this same thing. i got the rotors resurfaced and it was gone. dont forget new brake pads too!
thats all i can think of right now...and yea it was worse at higher speeds...and the sensation was less when braking hard.
just a thought :)

Monki

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
use the brake to slow down. replacing brake pad is cheaper than replacing ur syncros.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Your problem is warped brake rotors or drums , most likely the rear since you can feel it in the e-brake , I would suggest just replacing the rear drums or rotors , and the front rotors and be done with it ....Warping is caused by exsesive heat and/or overtighnening the lug nuts !! You may want to make sure all your brakes are working good , if either the front or rear are not in good working order , it will put excesive work on the good set ... Which will overheat them !!

·
renwO amitlA duorP
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have just under 90,000 miles and i had the rear drums cut back in october, which did nothing so i thought it was in the pads and it would just work itself out. nope.

if the lug nuts are too tight it would cause this too huh? ive never heard of this, interesting.

i thought drums never needed replacing.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
drums are wear items too. they can warp just like the brake rotors. replace them...shouldnt cost too much.

also, youre NOT going to hurt the transmission by using compression braking....ive never had a problem. i dont see why people keep saying itll hurt it.

Monki

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
Well, if you were in San Diego, I'd offer to straighten your rotors for you without replacing them... :D

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
PT said:
Well, if you were in San Diego, I'd offer to straighten your rotors for you without replacing them... :D
lol @ pt, brake destroyer ;)

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
chiadog said:
lol @ pt, brake destroyer ;)
If I replaced my rotors every time they got warped, I'd be on my 3rd or 4th set of rotors already. :p

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
ASHURA said:
the only way you'll warp a rear drum is by doing E-brake in the corners, otherwise putting on the E-brake right after some abusive runs (ie: track/autoX)
Hey ASHURA, Track Day. March 29. Click on my sig for info.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
ASHURA said:
PT, give me a new engine, tranny and 4 tires, and I'll show up. :D $130 is relatively cheap for a whole day.
If you really want to go, I'm open to letting you borrow my car for your run groups... but of course you'll have to pay your own $130.00. :D

If you want to drive your own car, and you're interested in tires, my stock 195/65R15's (less than 5k miles on them) are in San Jose (South San Jose to be exact) at the moment. If you're interested in buying them from me, I'll give you a great price. If you want to borrow them, that's fine too. :D

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
woohoo, i am quoted in a sig :D

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
PT said:
If you really want to go, I'm open to letting you borrow my car for your run groups... but of course you'll have to pay your own $130.00. :D

If you want to drive your own car, and you're interested in tires, my stock 195/65R15's (less than 5k miles on them) are in San Jose (South San Jose to be exact) at the moment. If you're interested in buying them from me, I'll give you a great price. If you want to borrow them, that's fine too. :D
Being that it is Your car, I might not be willing to push it all out...It's yours, not mine.. :D

March 29..Let's see, I got between 14th till 24th to drop in the engine, so I might be able to drop there. What's the helmet minimum requirement? Snell M95?

Too late, got tires already. Well, I need tires that'll last me my journey to seattle and back down. Besides, the old ones were truly slicks already, even the belts were showing.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
ASHURA said:
Being that it is Your car, I might not be willing to push it all out...It's yours, not mine.. :D

March 29..Let's see, I got between 14th till 24th to drop in the engine, so I might be able to drop there. What's the helmet minimum requirement? Snell M95?

Too late, got tires already. Well, I need tires that'll last me my journey to seattle and back down. Besides, the old ones were truly slicks already, even the belts were showing.
They prefer SA rated helmets, but you can get away with Snell95.

·
renwO amitlA duorP
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so, after reading that article about the brake shimmy not always being the rotors, what should i have done on my rear drums? should they be cut again or should i get all new drums and brake pads? im at 90,000 miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts