The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fitted new pads and rotors to the front of my Altima and new pads at the rear.
I used the shims that came with the new pads (Centric Posiquiet ceramic).
The rear rotors appear to be in good condition.

There is an annoying squeal under very light braking just when rolling to a stop like when parking in the garage.

I have pulled off all the wheels re-lubed and re-fitted but the noise is still there.

I ran the front pads over some sand paper but that did not help.
I gave the rear rotors a light sanding too but that also did not help.
My thinking is that the squeal is a pad rotor contact issue as opposed to a shim/cylinder vibration issue.

I have made sure that the foot brake pads are not contacting the inside of the rear rotors when the foot brake is not engaged.

It's really hard to hear which wheel the noise is coming from and asking my wife or kids to listen out is an exercise in futility!!

Any tips other than replacing the rear rotors?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Let your wife drive while you listen?

·
*Donating Member* Member
425 Posts
After I recently did the brakes on my wife's Saturn it was doing the same thing. I bought a new tube of CRC Brake Caliper Grease and in addition to cleaning and applying it to the contact points on the pads, I applied a thin coating to the entire back of each pad. No more squealing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have already removed all of the wheels and reapplied brake grease in the right places.
This is what makes me think it's pad against rotor causing the squeal.
It's very subtle, will happen every time after I just drive into our garage but if I back out and try and reproduce it I can't! The reverse braking action seems to sort out the issue temporarily.
This is what makes it difficult to pinpoint at home.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Why not let them bed in a bit and see if it goes away? My rotors always whine a bit at first during reverse braking when still cold and dry...other than that they are silent. This could also be the reason they tell you to always replace rotors and pads at the same time...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I drove along our street with my daughter walking alongside!
She identified the front right as the noise maker.
This time I noticed a very fine mark around the surface of the rotor so I recon there could have been a foreign body stuck between the pad and rotor.
I gave the rotors and pads a light sanding re-lubed and refitted.
So far no noise after one short drive.

I fitted these last year so they have had more than enough time to bed in.

Thanks for the replies.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
Brake noises can be tricky to diagnose. On an older car I had before (91 Legacy) I suddently got an awful scraping noise not far from home. Examined all the rotors and found a small stone had become stuck between the splash guard and the rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts